Amphipods?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gato

I got a question Im sure someone can answer. As far as I can tell I have Amphipods floating in the water column. I dont think this a problem but they dont appear to be alive. They just float around and dont move. The fish will put them in there mouth and then spit them out. Whats going on here?

If they have a whitish translucent appearance, they are most likely molts. Amphipods and the like molt just like any other crustacean.

How is the tank health in general?

Cheers
Steve

I agree with Steve...if they have a "see through" look to them, they are probably molts. I see my fish swim up to them all the time, then turn away in disappointment :rolleyes:.

Thats what it is then, you descibed them perfectly. I see them all the time, I mean all the time. There must be a lot in there but I have never seen alive one. Some are pretty big too. So its safe to assume everything is ok? Thanks for the replies too.

Whoops missed the question on tank general health. As far as I can tell all is good. Here is some of my test results the last time I checked and they stay really consistent.

Nitrate - Lowest on Salifert(I forget the numbers)
PH - 8.4
SG - 1.025
Cal - 480 (oceanic salt)
DkH - 8-9 (Have to use buffer, again oceanic salt.)
Phoshate - Lowest on Salifert test too.
Mag - I dont currently test for but I get a lot of Coraline growth.
Temp stays consistently 78.5 - 80

I have done 10% water change every week since start up and used 100% RO/DI water.

Do all this look ok?

Other than the high Ca, it looks fine. If you are dosing suppliments, I would let the Ca fall off to about 415-420 ppm before you resume. If your not dosing, there's little you can do about save changing salts. If you do not have scleractinians, it's much less a concern.

If your interested, here's a good read on Amphipods.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php

Cheers
Steve

No Im not dosing anything. When I get low on salt Im thinking of switching to IO. Pardon my ignorance but when you say scleractinians, you mean SPS and LPS right? I do have a couple LPS. Is 480 ca a real problem for this?

Scleractinians = hard corals, careful with the other designations. While it's merely a hobbyists reference, it gets some people dander up... :lol:

What species of coral? Most typical "LPS" are commonly much slower growing so it's not as large an issue. Overall, the health of the tank will benefit much more from natural levels than artificially boosted beyond what the animals need. It's a matter of best for you or better for them ;)

Cheers
Steve

As I said I dont do anything calcium. I really need to look into changing salts. Im just nervous about doing so. For the most part everything has gone really well with my tank and I dont want to mess anything up. I really appreciate everyones responses, thanks.

Changing salts can definately wreek havok if not done slowly so do take it slow. Usually depends on the sensitivity of the inhabitants for the most part. Best means to accomplish that is do very small weekly water changes (5% or so) over a two month period. It allows the animals to adjust slowly with little or no impact to health.

There is no perfect salt brand, some being better than others though. The key is picking one that works and that can be manipulated in the tanks favor before use. Above all you want consistancey so once you choose, try to stick with it unless it causes problems. Oceanic is one of the poorest from what I have seen. IO is not perfect either due to the usually low Ca content. But in knowing a salts limitations, they can be fixed/tweeked to better suit the tanks needs so it's not a concern. Once a salt has been mixed to the right temp and salinity, check the parameters and tweek as needed. In a small water volume for change water it's quite easily done and not exspensive.

I'm not sure what species of animals you keep but nothing is in any impending danger really (unless posted otherwise) so finish off the Oceanic and if you can try something different. Your in no great rush though :cool:

Do you buy from the LFS or online and what do they offer?

Cheers
Steve

I buy from LFS and have many salt options. Other than high ca and low alk what is the down falls with Oceanic? I dont have algae problems except some strange brown algae which cant be scrubbed off and its only on a couple rocks and it grows very slowly. I have 2 emerald crabs that rip it off and eat it(captured 1 last night and removed him. Thank god I hate those SOB). Anyways got a little off subject but maybe the salt has something to do with this algae. Theres lots of variables though.

Oceanic definately has been linked to micro algae issues but no macros that I've heard of. On that though, your sounds like Lobophora. Best means of control is manual removal if it's getting out of hand. Nutrient control/competing algae, is the best long term method.

Oceanics main downfall is the chemistry as well as contributing to cyano/diatom issues. For most, this would be reason enough. It really does come down to the individual system though. Some use it with great success.

Cheers
Steve

Ok I searched Lobophora and yes I thats what it is. Its not out of control right now but I want to make sure it doesnt. Its not the most attractive stuff. Its mainly on a rock on the bottom so removal would mean tearing most the tank apart. Oh well, I think I have decided to change salts and I dont think I will wait till I run out. Thanks again for all the info.

Back