Amphiprionidae (Clownfish) Workshop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Section 8...continued..

Wow, what a long hiatus...here we go again :)
Just a reminder, this section is about feeding your clownfish and conditioning your clownfish. In the first post of this section, I talked about "Basic Feeding," in which I discussed the "Frequency of Feeding".

Now lets discuss,

Types of Foods/Feeds/Diets

What clownfishes eat directly relates to their health, and quality of eggs, when they do start spawning. One big difference between our tanks and the oceans is the availability of natural food sources, and more importantly, live food sources. One big misconception when feeding clownfishes is that they do not need algae. This is not true. There are studies (of which I cannot quote from at this moment) which have found stomach contents of clownfishes to have 20-30% algae content. This further proves that clownfishes are omnivorous. They will eat both animal and plant matter. So in my opinion, daily feedings of clownfishes should include some type of algal foods. IMO, time is usually a limiting factor in what we feed, and while I did think about availability of some food items that can be used to feed clownfishes as another limiting factor, I still believe that if we had more time, we would seek them out....So in this case, I will break this section down to different scenarios.​

....to be edited...

Best,
Ilham

(post 19)

Thanks for the post Ilham Both of my pair's Of clowns will eat the Nori flakes but If I add it by the sheet they tend to leave it alone. I have been feeding the flakes 2 times per week I may increase this a little more...Jeff

that's interesting about the algae thing, when i first got clowns at a lfs they did suggest primereef with algae in it, i used it some but reverted mostly to flake food out of convience then to pellet food (less uneaten food then flake faster growing rates i found) but i do want to get to a higher quality foods for my clowns so they'll grow faster/spawn earlier

Thank You Elmo!!!

Hey Ilham thanks for the ONYX's. They fell out of the bag into the nem. Here's some pic's.

Attachments

• Nem pictures 057.jpg
    Nem pictures 057.jpg
    49.6 KB
This is cool. I just started this thread so i will be up to date for a while. :) Whats up Ilham! Great thread it looks like. I am thinking of setting up my akindynos for breeding so this thread will be a big help.

my clownfish A. ocellaris have become picky eaters. They only want to eat forumla one flakes and mysis and brine shrimp...they might eat the mysid shrimp that are live in the tank but I don't think so...they are too lazy.

Any directions and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Yaaaaay Elmo! WB

my clownfish A. ocellaris have become picky eaters. They only want to eat forumla one flakes and mysis and brine shrimp...they might eat the mysid shrimp that are live in the tank but I don't think so...they are too lazy.

Any directions and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Yaaaaay Elmo! WB

Hi Deb!

The scenario you posted above is typical of fishes that we keep in our tanks. This is one of the reasons a varied diet is best. Clownfishes, too, can get dependent on a certain type of food.

I find that the best feeding response is in the morning for clownfishes. I have my lights come on early, before my day starts so that I have time to feed them. That being said, I would stop feeding your ocellaris for a couple days. Whey clownfish are hungry, they are known to chase after debris, detritus, or food pieces in the water column. Once they know it is not something they like, they will spit it out. However, after some time, they will learn that it is something they can eat. I would feed something different than the foods you are currently feeding. Feed it in the morning (an hour after the lights are on, if possible). Sleepy clowns don't eat very well...If the clownfishes do not eat the food within 20 minutes or so, feed the foods that you were feeding them just a little bit. This is the same process of weaning baby fish to eat something different. You mix the two foods, one that they like, one that they don't. You keep on decreasing the foods they are dependent on little by little, as they eat the other foods.

A good food to try is frozen Cyclop-Eeze. I find it quite pricey if you just have a couple fish to feed, so it may be better to split the package with a couple friends who are wanting to feed that, too. They come in frozen packs.

Another tip I've learned over time is related to shipping fish. When I ship fish, I don't feed them the day of shipping. One, it decreases the chances of fish pooping out the foods that they would have eaten that day, right in the bag...two..when they get to their destination, they will be slightly 'hungry'. Shipping fish puts a lot of stress on them, and this little bit of hunger can trigger a better feeding response once in their new QT tank.

Do not worry about not feeding your fish for a couple days. They will be fine. If the above method does not work, keep trying. IMO, once they know it is edible, they will most likely eat it, especially when none of the other foods are present. Remember to continue feeding the foods you normally feed your clowns, but sparingly, and less than the usual amount.

Best,
Ilham

You must have added those clowns recently before making video --- they looked pretty excited.

Mine did same after introducing to new tank. But settled down after couple of

no dood, i got them from Elmo (ilham ) about a month ago i believe, i think they just swim like that because of my flow :p.

Thanks Ilham,

The instruction you gave sounds wonderful. This pair of clowns I got tank raised, at the same time and one was bigger than the other. They are about a year old now (I got them when they were dime sized) so I hope I can guide them into a better way of eating.

update on my clownfishes....they are eating a more varied diet but it was a slow process. They are still picky but willing to try other things like small pellets. My next purchace will be cyclop- Eeze. Then I will have to get my yellow Tang not to eat that first and eat his seaweed.
Oh these fishes:).

My Amphiprion akindynos love nori. They run right up to the clip and feed with the tangs. Alas! there hosting my new T.Gigas and need to be pulled out. I want to set them up in a breeding tank here in my home office. There spawning all the time now. Any aquarium sizes recommended? 40 breeder to large?

My Amphiprion akindynos love nori. They run right up to the clip and feed with the tangs. Alas! there hosting my new T.Gigas and need to be pulled out. I want to set them up in a breeding tank here in my home office. There spawning all the time now. Any aquarium sizes recommended? 40 breeder to large?

A 40B would be perfect! But, I am kinda biased :rolleyes:

Nice Avatar FFrankie :). My A. Ocellaris(sp)? don't seem to be interested at all in seaweed products. Not any kind..."no way" is their attitude. LOL ! I have been shopping around lfs's for the Cyclop-Eeze. Still haven't gotten any.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back