an odd problem with my water....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

immedicatdru2

Ok... This may sound pretty odd, but my water level is dropping by a couple of gallons per day in the filter. I have checked the entire floor area under and some feet surrounding the stand and everything is nice and dry. I just can't figure out where it's going. No leaking lines anywhere, no holes, no leaking tank seams. I did put a rather large piece of old coral in the tank on sunday. Could it be absorbing that much water? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven

If it is a larger tank it could just be evaporation. I get about 1.5 to 2 gallons a day on my 90 gallon. Just remeber if it is evaporation, only top off with water, not saltwater or you salinty will get out of whack. May want to check it.

Last edited:
I think Ken has hit your problem exactly on the head!!! Evaporation. I know, with it being summer and having an extra fan blowing across the top of my sump for added cooling... that I evaporate about 3 gallons of water a day.

I replace that water via a float switch, so its automatically replaced as required. However, I've just started doing that. I used to every evening, pour in about 2 gallons of RO/DI water to compensate for the evaporation. This was before the weather warming up, and the addition of the extra fan over my sump, of course.

Just make sure you put in RO/DI (or just RO water, if thats what you use)... and NOT Salt-Water. The salt content in your tank doesn't evaporate, just the H2O...

Evaporation....?

Ok. I kinda thought that but just didn't realize that you could loose that much water overnight. Th RO/DI filter that I have came from Petco (becuase it was pretty cheap), however the cartridges are not. They filter about 30 - 40 gallons then have to be replaced. Does anyone know some good DIY plans for a filter? I have much better access to materials than money so I do as much for my self as I can. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Steven

I'm noticing about 1 - 1 1/2 gallons per day in the summer. My salinity was a little lower than I want it so I use this as an opportunity to gradually raise it by adding a little salt to my top off water.

Steven,

I purchased my own RO/DI unit from Ebay. VERY quick delivery, and the cheapest I found around. Here is a link to the guy's products:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop_W0QQsspagenameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

The unit I purchased is his "AQUA AQUARIUM 100GPD REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER"... and from what I just saw, his "Buy it now" price is $74.50. Even with the $27.50 for shipping...that makes a complete RO/DI unit of your own, for just over $100 to your doorstep!

Hope that information helps.
Ed

The other option is you have a pet that likes salt water and has learned to open the cabinet door to your sump. :) It can happen! I've seen dogs who learn to lift toilet lids. :)

I have the aquasafe unit that Ed linked and I love it. It kicks butt and for a great price. Consistent 0 tds water all I can use.

Back