And another fish...Emperor angel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

Here is my latest and most likely my last fish to be added to my main tank.

It is a 4.78 inch Emperor angel (Maldives) from DD.

Emperor angelfish - YouTube

The current list of fish in my main tank are:

Blueface angel
Flame angel
Blueline angel
Personifer angel
Scribbled angel
Goldflake angel
Queen angel
Blonde Naso Tang with streamers
Bonded pair of Red Mandarins

Beautiful fish. Do you have a dedicated HT, or how do you handle medicating/treating fish in a QT with corals?

spiezak,

I have 2 55g QT running at all times..I have a 75g tank that I can easily set up as well...IF I need to use medication, I will move corals and LR to one of the other QTs..

Kevin,

the scolys are going to my work tank, the hammer is going to the main tank..I have only LPS corals in my main tank and <knock on wood> they have not bother any of them including the nice purple tipped elegance..

Kevin,

the scolys are going to my work tank, the hammer is going to the main tank..I have only LPS corals in my main tank and <knock on wood> they have not bother any of them including the nice purple tipped
elegance..

I meant to say that angels are soooo cool that I would consider giving up corals to have your collection.

Kevin,

that was my original plan...to have my angels be the "color" of the tank, but then I saw they weren't going after anything with motion, that is, torches, RBTAs, froggies, etc...so I kept them...I try to feed 2-4X a day to prevent any nipping of the corals....9 months and no loss of corals.

What a beautiful fish collection you have.
I always wanted a Emperor angel, but never really had a suitable tank for one.

Just saw the pics of your main tank with the multiple angelfish. Loved it.

I would appreciate any pointers on how you were able to get large angelfish to live together. I have a 300-gallon FOWLR (standard dimensions) that currently has several tangs in the 6"- range (1 yellow, 2 hippos, 1 PBT) plus a 6"+ Emperor. I would love to add more adult angels (I particularly like Queens, Bluefaces, and Annularis) but am skeptical about their ability to coexist. Did you have any suggestions to reduce aggression? Thanks.

hmmm...gonna be hard to add any other angel with a 6+" Emeperor...

for any other angel you do add, it needs to be the same size as the emperor otherwise it will get bullied by the emperor..since the PBT can be territorial too, I would add the annularis..I currently have a red sea asfur and an annularis from DD in QT...Have you consider an asfur angel? nice colors and would fit in with the temperament of the tank.

all of the angels I add to the tank are in the 3-5 range, with 4 to 4.5 inches being the perfect size..this allows the aggression to be minimized and allows me to train them on prepared food and not rely on strictly a sponge diet which happens to large fish (6+" inches) from the wild.

I feed my fish 3-4X a day. One of the feedings I soak with brightwell angelixir..it is a sponge supplement/stimulate...the other feedings I soak with vitamins and selcon...

proper nutrition breeds fish that thrive instead of surviving.. :)

I am going to shoot a video of my tank this wkend, so stay tune..you will see all the fish in my tank. :)

Thanks for the advise. One thought I had was to take the Emperor out to a 75-gallon isolation tank (actually my new reef tank) for a month when I introduce some new (smaller) angelfish. If nothing else it would give the new fish a chance to get familiar with the tank before Mr Big returns. Does that sound worthwhile?

Oops, I forgot to ask: where can I find the brightwell angelixir you mentioned? Sounds like a great idea.

Very nice Kirk great fish and i like your tank as well and of course the anemones I got from you super healthy and Beautiful very happy them all the best . Miguel

Allen..yes good idea..emperor should be last in due to its pugnacious behavior
Barrier reef carries angelixir

Thanks for the suggestions, Kirk. Knowing you are able to keep a group of adult angelfish together is a big help. I really like the looks of an Asfur, as well as a Maculosus. Don't see them offered for sale very often, though.

Very nice addition, Kirk. Handsome looking fish. Kirk has a beautiful set up, especially with his quarantine and filtering of his tanks. It is a very nice set up. Keep up the great work, Kirk.

Back