Anemone dying?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReneM

Need to ask you guys what you think about my anemone...

I was given him as a present in early May... through posting pics on another site I was told he was bleached out and would probably die. This past week or so I think I am beginning to see the signs of that. He is staying more in the "shrunk stage", his tentacles are grayish brown, shriveled... sometimes the arms look like a long balloon that has been pinched.... I know he didn't have adequate lighting before I got him, and as I was not prepared for him, he still could use better light. But he seems to shy away from the light? So strange...

Anyways, I am thinking he is dying... and probably there is little I can do. But I wanted to see what you all thought.

Here he is before... when I first got him....
100_2563.jpg

This is him now...
100_2575.jpg

yep thats a condy... fish eater.. bad news..
maybe take it back or place it in the sump away from your system.

they "condy" require little light and im sure its not a gonner.. altho you should make sure it is...

its closed up cause its "pissed" and i dont mean drunk.. its upset, unhappy and simply put not a good idea for a reef tank, and or tank with fish.

get rid of it, place it in a sump and or return it

annemomes do close up like this from time to time and do look dead...

its not dead till its melting

I agree with burning. I had one and it ate anything floating in the water. It ate a ric that detached and a sixline wrasse. I got tired of it eating everything. :)

BTAs are a better anemone.

What do you mean by burn it? Kill it? I can do that if it's him vs everyone else in the tank, though I wouldn't want to. Is there a humane way to do this if I have to do it?

(they won't take him back and I don't know anyone local who will take him)

Agree that it is not shriveled due to dying but it is not happy. All Nems require good lighting and or food. Trey also like good water flow and stable water conditions. Condis do better in a cooler higher flow tank. They are not expensive so don't sweat it but DO ensure the tank's conditions are always improving either due to better control or maturity

I dont think its dead, my candy anemone use to always do that, at times even get smaller, then the next day he would be perfectly fine. But, one day my candy just disappeared and never saw him again, so who knows

Back