Anemone help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

badger126

Zoanthid Addict
I made another thread last week about my clownfish not hosting in the anemone, but now I'm worried about the anemone itself! I've done a lot of reading, but I can't seem to nail down what he needs to be happy. He was settled in for a few days but the last 2 days he's moved 4 times! It scares the crap out of me walking in the room and seeing him floating around, threatening my only 2 corals.
He is a long tentacle/corkscrew. I have him currently in a 29 gal tank with 2x65w PCs. I guess what I'm wondering is - what does he need or like? High flow/low flow and how do you tell if its a good flow by watching him? should I help him out by placing him high on a rock right under the light or would he like it better in the sand(this is what I read) even though it's farther away from the light? I just want him to get settled in and be happy!
What procedure do you guys usually follow when you introduce a new anemone to avoid harm to corals but still allow him to find a spot to his liking?

Oh my. Unless I'm mistaken, this long tentacle anemone will get up to 3' in diameter. My sister has one in her tank and it is large. Perhaps, I am not understanding the type of anemone you have there, but if I'm right, you may end up looking for a bigger tank.... sooner than you thought.

I am not very experienced in reefing, but my family has had tanks for 10+ years and that anemone has been around for 8+ years. It is kept on the sand and has low to moderate flow. Where is your flow coming from and what amount?

You do not mention what you are feeding the anenome. While it primarily uses light to create its own food (I'm not sure that you have enough light on this tank -- but that is something for the more experienced to discuss), it benefits from meaty types of food. Are the ends of the tentacles as plump as the remainder? If not, it needs to be fed. Generally, if its happy with the light and flow and you routinely feed it, it will settle in on the sand with its foot under a rock.

This is just a tidbit of info until a more experienced reefer can respond.

I made another thread last week about my clownfish not hosting in the anemone, but now I'm worried about the anemone itself! I've done a lot of reading, but I can't seem to nail down what he needs to be happy. He was settled in for a few days but the last 2 days he's moved 4 times! It scares the crap out of me walking in the room and seeing him floating around, threatening my only 2 corals.
He is a long tentacle/corkscrew. I have him currently in a 29 gal tank with 2x65w PCs. I guess what I'm wondering is - what does he need or like? High flow/low flow and how do you tell if its a good flow by watching him? should I help him out by placing him high on a rock right under the light or would he like it better in the sand(this is what I read) even though it's farther away from the light? I just want him to get settled in and be happy!
What procedure do you guys usually follow when you introduce a new anemone to avoid harm to corals but still allow him to find a spot to his liking?

From what I've read, anemonies will move around until they find a spot they like. I kept trying to put mine in nice hole in a rock, close to the light....and it kept moving back down to the sand bed to a specific spot. I finally gave up and left it there. It appears to be happy. I also use a turkey baster 1 or 2 times a week to feed it little thawed mysis shrimps. I gently rub the baster around it's tentacles to stimulate it's eat response and then very carefully put the shrimps on it's tentacles. He loves it and is doing very well. I wish my tomatoe clown would play with him, but so far he shows no interest....sigh! (Mine is also a long tentacle anemone).

An LTA is typically a sand dwelling anemone. You 2X65 watt PC lighting is not enough light for any anemone. It's probably moving around, in search of more light. Unfortunately, with your current lighting set up, it'll probably not be able to find a spot where it's "happy" and will continue searching. In the process of searching, it's likely to get sucked into a powerhead, sting corals, etc. With your current set up, it's not likely that this anemone will survive very long.

I had an LTA for several years and it was very particular about what he liked and if anything changed he would start moving, which eventually led to his demise via the intake of my closed loop.

My LTA liked strong light (he preffered to be centered under a 250w MH), strong/moderate flow (tentacles waving around at all times) and his foot in the sand next to a rock. If I provided that he would stay put but a slight variation and off it would go. Even something as simple as a power outage that temporarily interupted the light cycle could be enough to send him searching for "greener pastures".

I prefer Seabae anemones as they seem more likely to stay put.

My BTAs don't move (atleast untill they split). :)

I would agree with that's not enough light. My BTAs are at the bottom of my rockwork under 250w MH.

I know the tank isnt big enough, I'm upgrading to a 75gallon. Would a BTA be more suitable then? I could maybe trade the LTA off and find a good RBTA....I guess I figured that with that small of water quantity to diffuse the light that the PCs would be adequate until I get into the 75 w/t5's

A BTA could be higher up on your rocks and getting more light. So yes. But you can also help it be happy by feeding silversides. Do you feed it?

I use to use brine and then switched to silversides. Mine like the silversides better and I think they offer more protien. You should break the silversides into chuncks and feed them once a week. Any more and they will grow like crazy.

One of the major misconceptions about anemones is that they are hardier than corals, when in fact they are typically more delicate. Once acclimated and healthy, they are pretty tough, but until then, they are more prone to dying in captivity rather than surviving, much less thriving.

How long has your tank been running?
With your current lighting, you will have a very difficult time keeping any anemone. I would strongly suggest finding a home for the LTA, and upgrading your lighting prior to purchasing another anemone.

In the meantime, you could do research by clicking on the link in my signature on anemones....

Nick

I gotta agree. I don't think your lighting is adequate for any anemone. Take some time to do some good research, and while doing that, save up for better lighting. A good 6 bulb Tek5 fixture would be awesome, allowing you to grow anything you want, without the heat issues of MH lighting.

Well I'll be moving into the 75 gallon here soon. Just looking for a used 6bulb t5 fixture for a good price. You are right I wish I knew someone who could keep him for a bit. Guess I better hurry and hope he makes it!

Not to ring any bells here but 130 watts over a 29 gallon tank is adaquate light for a anemone. I believe his problem is that his tank was not at proper salinity, he had high nitrates. He has not cycled his tank and he has added to many animals to a "unhealthy house" Need to slow down and get you parameters in order BEFORE you start adding animals. I know that I am no expert on anemones, but I don't really think the amount of light over his tank is the issue here. This guy is just starting out like all of us and is just a little bit in a hurry.

Not to ring any bells here but 130 watts over a 29 gallon tank is adaquate light for a anemone. I believe his problem is that his tank was not at proper salinity, he had high nitrates. He has not cycled his tank and he has added to many animals to a "unhealthy house" Need to slow down and get you parameters in order BEFORE you start adding animals. I know that I am no expert on anemones, but I don't really think the amount of light over his tank is the issue here. This guy is just starting out like all of us and is just a little bit in a hurry.

Vinny,
Its not so much the wattage of the lighting as it is the intensity of the lighting. 130 watts of T-5's with the newer reflectors providing higher intensity would be more than sufficient for keeping anemone's in a 29 gallon tank. However, I'm not aware of any upgrades having been made to PC lighting systems. The older reflectors on PC lighting systems just dont channel enough light back into the tank like the newer ones....

Having said all of that...if his system is new, (I dont know because he didnt answer my question), and he's rushing things, that is the bigger issue and will cause more problems than the lighting.

Nick

Yes I can agree with the rushing part, we have all done it :) But a high light is not required for a anemone. I know you will not get all the colors without the light, but it does not mean it will not survive without high light. I have a couple of smaller tanks that are very low budget. One is a 32 bow with two thirty watt flourecent light bulbs, one daylight and one actinic. I have a Korilla three and a Aqua Clear 500 for flow. There is no heater and no skimmer. I house Mushrooms, Yellow Leather, Kenya Tree coral, Cabbage coral and some Zoes. My other 32 bow has one 65 watt Daylight CF Light a Aqua Clear 500, a small Rio Superflow pump, a Remora Skimmer and a heater. This tank has Zoes, Zenya, Mushrooms and a purple tip Sebae Anemone. I do dose with my Phyto I grow and the Clown fish do feed the Anomone. I have had several other setups that seem to do "ok" with out the high end lights. Sometimes I think we forget that not everyone has the budget for all of the high end equipment that is out there. Most of us did not start out with a lot of money or nice equipment. We improve and upgrade as we can afford to. And once you do have the budget how easy it is to forget how simple it can be to get started. I also will say that those high end toys that are out there are nice to have and make keeping a system easier and more stable, ideal. However this does not mean that one cannot safely keep and maintain a saltwater system on a shoestring budget. Research what you want to have and make sure that you have the resources to keep it a live. I know this is hard with the got to have it now mentality, but proper planning and reseach goes a long way. It is always the basics to ensure success.

IME the LTA is going to be unhappy without high light. While high light may not be required for survival, it may be required for contentment. An unhappy Anemone is going to move around and risk being injured.

I had 2 anemones in the same tank in similiar placements for several years, a seabae and an LTA. Minor changes in flow or light would send the LTA on the move while the seabae would always remain where it was put.

I believe you are correct on a couple of items. You cannot place a anemone where you want it. The animal moves to find the correct flow that it likes. The reason it seeks these places out is to ensure it can catch food in the water stream. If it has better light then it can live from the food the light produces with the Algae that lives, grows within the animal. I believe you can have all the light you can provide, but without the water movement or flow it will still die.

Yes I can agree with the rushing part, we have all done it :) But a high light is not required for a anemone. I know you will not get all the colors without the light, but it does not mean it will not survive without high light. I have a couple of smaller tanks that are very low budget. One is a 32 bow with two thirty watt flourecent light bulbs, one daylight and one actinic. I have a Korilla three and a Aqua Clear 500 for flow. There is no heater and no skimmer. I house Mushrooms, Yellow Leather, Kenya Tree coral, Cabbage coral and some Zoes. My other 32 bow has one 65 watt Daylight CF Light a Aqua Clear 500, a small Rio Superflow pump, a Remora Skimmer and a heater. This tank has Zoes, Zenya, Mushrooms and a purple tip Sebae Anemone. I do dose with my Phyto I grow and the Clown fish do feed the Anomone. I have had several other setups that seem to do "ok" with out the high end lights. Sometimes I think we forget that not everyone has the budget for all of the high end equipment that is out there. Most of us did not start out with a lot of money or nice equipment. We improve and upgrade as we can afford to. And once you do have the budget how easy it is to forget how simple it can be to get started. I also will say that those high end toys that are out there are nice to have and make keeping a system easier and more stable, ideal. However this does not mean that one cannot safely keep and maintain a saltwater system on a shoestring budget. Research what you want to have and make sure that you have the resources to keep it a live. I know this is hard with the got to have it now mentality, but proper planning and reseach goes a long way. It is always the basics to ensure success.

Vinny,
Rushing is typically the most common mistake new hobbyists get into.Another is not researching what they are trying to keep prior to purchasing it.
I'm not inexperianced with anemones myself. I currently have an H.magnifica anemone that I've kept for almost 4 years, and a purple H.crispa anemone that I've kept for close to three.
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your 32 bow with the purple tipped Sebae anemone. Is it an H.malu or an H.crispa? How long have you had it in your tank?

Someone on another forum has a signature that is appropriate here:

"what is reccomended for the begining hobbyist and what the experianced reef keeper does are not always the same thing." (That's not it verbatim, but I've got the basics of it here)

Would you reccomend that a begining hobbyist keep an anemone in a small tank under pc lighting? I wouldnt. The chances for failure are too high IMO.

Here is a good read for exactly what I'm talking about:

http://www.athiel.com/lib/questions/anemone.htm

Just because you are able to be successful in the short term with your set up, doesnt mean that the original poster will be able to replicate your results.

Nick

Yes, I totally agree with you. Originally the 29 setup was just to house the live rock and stuff while He worked on his bigger tank. I believe someone got him some presents for his new system. Sometimes it is hard to keep a Anemone even in a large tank. The longer you can wait the better off the animal will be. If it is a smaller tank try and search out a smaller animal and be prepared to trade it out as it grows or get a bigger tank :) I have killed a lot of stuff in my 7 or 8 years in the saltwater and know that patience and research is really the key. I try not to knock to hard for trying, hopefully there is some learning going on too...

Back