#8 looks like a long tenticle/ H. crispa :p... just because of the color
#6 looks like a rose bubble :p.
#9 condylactis ??
#3 rock anemone??
#12 maybe a Heteractis magnifica

man the last one is a pretty one .

now i give up, what are they :lol: :D

Some more pictures

Just to fuel the discussion. I must say, the tentacles on my anemone don't look as long and stringy as those of a pink Haitian.

The anemone has stayed completely stationary and appears to be happy where he is. His body is anchord very deep under a piece of rock (it is very elongated).

What I traded

And here is the carpet anemone I traded away for my mystery anemone. He was a giant!

#8 looks like a long tenticle/ H. crispa ... just because of the color

Gabby!!!!
Color means nothing!!!!!!!! Thats the whole point of this game.

Click on my signature, go to the RF Library and look up anemones. There is a link to a lengthy article titled "Anemone Fish and their Host Anemones".
It will take a while to load up. Read it and then try again.

Eric,
After all this, I'm getting more convinced you have a Condylactis Anemone....Haitian Pink Tip like Dustin stated....:D

Thats a beautiful carpet.

Nick

Thanks everyone for all of your interest. I'm glad this became an educational experience!

That being said, would anyone be interested in trading an RBTA for a Haitian Pink Condylactis Anemone? :)

This whole adventure started because I wanted a place for my maroon clownfish to live.

If you can contact the person you originally swapped with, you might try and get your carpet back...
Clowns will host in anemones whenever possible. If its one they dont particularly like, they will leave it when something better comes along. Did you try and keep the Maroon and the Haddoni in the same tank?

I've seen pictures of a maroon clown being hosted by a Hells Fire Anemone, Thaslanius (SP) Aster.....which dont host clowns, and their nematocysts are strong enough to burn human skin...

Nick

which dont host clowns, and their nematocysts are strong enough to burn human skin...

ouch !! :p .

may be give it sometime dood, my occellaris clown took a year and something to host a long tenticle anemone:oops:.

Nick,
I did keep the maroon clown and the haddoni in the same tank, but the clown never took to it. After a few weeks, I looked into it and discovered that maroon clowns generally don't host in haddonis (at least that's what they say on the web). Apparently maroon clowns are particularly picky.

I have a small tank and the clown is basically just in there with a watchman goby. I wonder if maybe he doesn't host in an anemone because he doesn't feel threatened enough to do so. Just a theory. He seems to have found a nice nook in a rock that he likes though.

As for trying to get an RBTA, I wrote back to the person I traded with. He hasn't responded yet, but he seemed like a good guy so I'm hoping things will get worked out that way.

maxx that Thaslanius anenome u were talking about was that pic number 1 do they have very sticky tenticles because i see heaps of them off the coast have even had one in my tank ate 3 fish before i realized what was going on only when it caught a butterflyfish twice its size did i realize

and did u slip to H.crispa's in there
i beilive my anenome to be H.crispa but maybe im worng so heres some more pics
first day i got it in march 2006
new016ck5.jpg

soon after i got it
brandnewpics027bs6.jpg

p5120004iw9.jpg

anenomeeg5.jpg

taken today
anenomeke7.jpg

it takes up alot of my tank and am considering giving it its own tank which would be the only thing in there except for some discomorphs

Hope you get it worked out and the other party wasn't out to take advantage of ya. If they were, send them my way. I'll trade them a "sps frag" for the carpet and then give it back to ya.... I'll snap a tree branch off my maple tree and tell them its "bali green slimmer."

All the same, hopefully it was an innocent mistake. Good luck
B

Last edited:
Morgan,
If thats the same anemone in all the shots, it appears to be an H.crispa. In the first two shots it looks like an H.malu, but this is why you need to see underside and base photos as well.

The little dots on the underside of the anemone's oral disc are verruccae. The act like suction cups to allow the anemone to attach to things like substrate, rockwork etc....

The first anemone is not a thasallonius anemone. And actually, I made an error. I mean actinodendron instead of thasalonius for Hells Fire Anemones...
There are a couple of H.crispa anemones in that lineup.

Nick

when i had my two cllowns they did not go in the eneome for about 2 months and that was when i added another fish

Time for answers.....

Blue_LTA2-1_02-26-2007.jpg

1... Long Tentacle Anemone/Curly Q Anemone, M.doreensis. This one was mine, it was very bleached, but I was able to bring it back. It wound up turning a minty brown in color. A friend of mine has it in his tank right now.

A66.jpg

2... Magnificent Anemone/Ritteri Anemone, Heteractis magnifica

48933Anemone2.jpg

3... H.magnifica again, this time in green.

anemone5.jpg

4... Heteractis malu, Delicate Sea Anemone

CIMG5224.jpg

5... Leathery/Long Tentacle Anemone, Heteractis crispa

100_1811.jpg

6... H.crispa. This is an awesome color variation and was ID by Phil Henderson, (Phender). Phender knows his stuff and is quoted by several clownfish and anemone experts who are published authors. This anemone very much resembles the other LTA, M.doreensis. It was properly ID by seeing photo's of its base, oral disc, and under the oral disc. This is a great example of why those images are important. That photo is not altered or manipulated in any way....

AnemoneClownsAvatar-1.jpg

7... Bubble Tip Anemone, E.quadricolor

Nick

crsipaandxenia31607003.jpg

8... H.crispa

IMG_0934.jpg

9... E.quadricolor without bubble tips present

IMG_09371.jpg

10... E.quadricolor

DSC00112.jpg

11... H.crispa

IMG_1595screen.jpg

12... Giant Carpet Anemone, Stichodactyla gigantea

mytank003.jpg

13... H.malu....Another rare pink one.

Nick

Those are just over grown Apstasia :D

those nems look AMAZING. do I really have to wait till my tank is 1 year old before putting a BTA in there?
It is 4 months old, corollin is growing like crazy right now.
I want one so bad!
how do you know if your tank is really ready?

Maxx.....you forgot a pic of the ever popular condylactis?? :)

Ive had this pair for two and a half years...added a mate last fall.

being as this is the only nem/clown relationship I have ever had it wasnt until having it for over a year did I even learn it was kind of a a odd couple. I cant ever get a good pic of it due to wherre it is at in the tank....angled shot through acrylic......

clownandcondy.jpg

Last edited:
Time for answers.....

I was 12 for 13 :D. I would have guessed #3 as an E. Quad. But as you said, they were all lucky guesses, because IDing and anemone from the top down/color is usually not goingto turn up a proper ID :D

Thanks Max

Just to fuel the discussion. I must say, the tentacles on my anemone don't look as long and stringy as those of a pink Haitian.

The anemone has stayed completely stationary and appears to be happy where he is. His body is anchord very deep under a piece of rock (it is very elongated).

I have a conde or haitian long tip anemone. After looking at these shots it doesn't look like a conde to me. You might not have the RBTA but just another BTA. It may take a while before those tips bubble up or your clown to host it. Just have a little more patience.

Back