Anemone keeping/mixing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Forestal

Hi Anthony...

first let me apologize for the rambling nature.. i am typing off and on over 2 hours whilst interacting/supervising my kids :)

after reading your posts and books I have been feeling guilty having my bubble tip anemonae-Entamacea quadricolor in the same tank as my reef stuff...was one, now 4, but thanks to some coral propagation (i'm over at fragexchange too), got enough store credit to get a nice 36 bowfront, i am moving the bta's and my one 2 year old condylactis over to their own tank.. after many tanks started, i started my 120 reef with the idea of being a indopacific reef top, strayed with a few fish, but i have tried hard so will have less intraspecies competition.

Lighting: 250 wattMH 6600K, may supplement with actinincs (recommended in The Reef Aquarium by Sprung/Delbeek

couple questions:
....should i keep it a species tank (in other words, no condy/bta in same tank), in the smaller tank, they may go to war especially since they are from different areas-condy was from older tank...rather have him in this tank than have someone else kill it.

or vice versa- make it a species tank for my Condlactis (new thought but intriguing)

flow is another, i have cpr overflow with a 5 gallon bucket for the return pump solely for manifold flow to avoid any intake suction issues (i dont want to chance drilling glass for closed loop)...just trying to make it quiet is an issue :)...pump is a mag 1500gph, but split via manifold thusly:
manifold2.jpg

my reef tank is only 16months old, so have small frags starting to grow out, so the anemonae have done no harm and have been allowed the space to expand, have a tunze plus dual return flow.... hoping the flow will match

3rd ?(sorry :) )...36 is a small tank, but i do weekly water changes, and will be skimming aggressively...i do not want to overload bioload - wise... is it better to leave anemonae in 120 reef or in a 36 by themselves?

i plan on feeding the anemonae (plan on keeping 1-2 eventually but have to find good homes to the others...one i gave away to someone who insisted had all the right stuff, complained it died a week later :( )q3days (in the reef its once a week but they get leftovers a lot)... i doubt i will catch my 2 clowns, but if i do they can follow, otherwise...any ideas for other life forms - i dont need any.. but not sure from where they would be on the reef, what would be appropriate... have a few sexy shrimp that hang with them already, and maybe some hermits...

i just got certified scuba but dont have the money to go yet :) so havent seen but pics and altho i have collected a ton of books, trying to find what their natural habitat is like has been hard...

looking through John Tullocks Natural Reef Aquaria is how i started the indopacific reef top originally with sps, a few fish and some shrimp etc....several field guides i have are more like picture guides than surrounding faunal descriptions
Sprung and Delbeek's The Reef Aquarium, vol2 describes quite well varying setups with general recommendations, but few regarding species specific

thanks for any input :)

it really is a big deal in the long run my friend. Mixing anemone species successfully just does not fare as well as mixing corals species. The anemones are generally exceedingly motile, and in an (unnatural) tank with other cnidarians... its a recipe for disaster for what I believe is a majority of folks in the long term (within 5 years... usually less than 3).

My strong advice is to keep only one per tank, and without other cnidarians like corals. If you must, at least sequester the anemone in a refugium.

Without seeing anemones in the wild, you can observe this niche reality with some filed guides. Check out the books at seachallengers.com or the like.

Else you are going to just have to take my advice on where anemones occur in the wild ;) and compare that with the horror stories of anemones eventually moving about in the tank and finding an overflow, intake or stinging neighbor. But keep in mind too that very few of the folks saying they never had a problem with their anemone are folks with specimens that have not moved in 3+ years ;) Its always the guy with an anemone for 4, 6 or 8 months that claims success ;)

understood Anthony... thats why i wanted to do the right thing for all my life forms...

mine have been in place for 13 months, but i am to move one into the new tank and find good homes for the rest.

the more i read, the more i learn on how, oops i should have done it different...so was disappointed i had done it again mixing anemone/corals..
i will check out books i dont have yet at sechallengers.com ...thanks :)

quiet welcome my friend :)

This really has been an area of the hobby underrated and misunderstood for many years. I have been privileged to see the ramifications though in detail by having a pulse on the long term effects of mixing motile and sessile cnids from the numerous posts of similar sad stories via WWM, RC, etc.

kudos to you for your awareness, my friend.

Anth-

Back