Anemone on the move.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nemo's mum

Hi i am new here so please be gentle with me.

I have had a BTA in my tank now for 6 weeks.

When i first put him in it wandered for the first couple of days then found a spot it liked and stayed there until today.

He has been wandering around the tank now for hours and is still wandering.

I checked my water and all seems fine apart from the Magnesium being a little on the low side.

Can anyone please tell me as to why he has started to move around the tank?

Thank you.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum as i have only just registered here.

First welcome to RF.

It might of just decided it didn't like that spot so much after all. Also It might be moving more towards the light.

What size is the tank and what type of lighting do you have?

Hi james734.Thanks for the quick reply much appreciated.

My tank is 40 gallons, and the lighting is 6 by 36 watt twin T5 tubes.

He has now climbed all the way to the top of the tank glass and is still on the move.

I feel so sorry for my Percula clown as she is following it everywhere, as she has been hosting it for the last 2 weeks.

Anymore advice anyone please?.

It is looking for more light. They like good illumination and decent water flow. If possible, situate your tank near a south facing window or buy better lighting. What kind of water flow do you have? Perform changes? how much and how often. Bioload? Any test kits?

Thanks for replying Herefishyfishy.

I do a 10% water change weekly,i have a RO/DI unit so prepare all my water for changes and top off myself.

I have 2 percula clowns.
1 Firefish.
I skunk cleaner fish.
A couple of Red leg hermits.
1 Sandshifter Goby
4 nasurus snails.
3 turbo snails.

Just wait and watch. It doesn't look like trouble to me and the clowns will calm down once the anemone does. You said you have 6 36watt t5's over this tank? . 5.4 watts per gallon. It's looking for more light.
I think i got that right?!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply MAGDRL Mom.

The answer to your question is yes i am using a skimmer,it a Deltec MCe600.
What lighting do you suggest i use for my 40 gallon tank?

5.5 - 6 watts per gallon - buy the best you can afford to achieve the lighting requirements - personally, I would go for a used lighting set up and go for the better lighting - less cost. The forums are full of lights that people bought because of the price and found they are not sufficient to sustain the lifestock they want in their tanks.

PAR is what is important. inexpensive light meter, or borrow one is a good bet.

Thanks again MAGDRL Mom.
I will go to my LFS tomorrow and see what they have.

By the way i live in the UK so things may be different over here.

Once again thanks for your help and advice.:)

Welcome to RF.

How long has your tank been up? What the dimensions of your tank?

Just because your anemone is wandering does not mean its searching for more light. Anemones will wander for many reasons that add up to it not being in an "ideal" location for its needs. This may be because its getting too much light/not enough light, too much/not enough water movement around it, too much/not enough food where its at, or the tank could be to "young", (not mature enough/stabilized enough) for it. It could be reacting to other stimulus in the tank, (stray voltage from powerhead/pump), chemical warfare from other corals/anemones in the tank, or it might be in a area where your top off unit empties into, so salinity fluctuates in that immediate area.

My point being that there are MANY reasons why it could be moving. It could also be moving because the clowns are beating it up....

Regarding lighting....

T-5's are plenty good enough for anemones....depending on the depth of the tank. Light intensity is more important than watts per gallon. I can show links to numerous T-5 powered SPS tanks that look amazing....
so T-5's are plenty powerful enough to support anemones.

BTA's are also more tolerant of lighting than most other anemones.

What other corals/non moving inverts do you have in the tank?
You state that your water parameters are fine other than your magnesium being low....but what are your parameters at? Gimme numbers here...:D

What is your tanks pH one hour after the lights come on? What is your tanks pH one hour after your lights go off?

Finally, check out the RF Resource library, (in my signature below my name), for several links about anemones...you'll have to click on the invertebrates section first.

Nick

let me add my welcome too :)

and to (re-emphasize with the above advice overall: anemones (like most reef inverts) move because they are not getting adequate light or water flow. Actually, its often the lack of food (by light or water flow) that causes the move... but you get the drift, yes? :)

Back