Anemone suggestions needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I'm setting up my 75 reef. Actually, it's been set up for some time now and. It'll be awhile before I introduce an anemone but am seeking advice on what to put in there. Actually, it won't be that long before I relocate one of my current anemones, an RBTA, to the tank. However, I'm thinking about adding a second anemone eventually and am wondering what people would suggest. I'll want something that either Percs or Clarkiis will host with. I've already got 2 RBTAs and am looking for something a lil' different. I think a Carpet is out of the question because of the size they get. Remember, this is only a 75...lol. I really like Condys but have heard that they're more likely to eat your clowns than host them. I'm afraid of Sebais because I've heard they're a bit more difficult to keep alive. What about an LTA? Oh, my lighting will be Tek5 T5HO 6 bulbs. My 2 RBTAs are thriving well under PCs and one will be moved to the 75 when I tear down the 29 it's in. A lot of the rock from the 29 will also be added to the existing rock in the 75, which is also well established. Any suggestions???

IMO LTA mostly stay on the ground if you are looking for something that would do that they wold be great they can also get pretty good in size also

JR

Forgot to mention that I'm going to do everything I can to keep them on opposite ends of the tank. I know that's easier said than done but I think I can do it. My RBTA has been attached to the same rock for a long time and even when I've moved the rock, it doesn't budge. I wouldn't doubt it'll move when put under different lights, different current and a different tank environment though. As I said, it'd be a long while before I get a second anemone and I'd definitely wait until the RBTA was settled in. My other RBTA, on the other hand, (The one in my 46) seems settled in and then about every 6 weeks or so, decides to take a 2 day voyage around the tank. He ends up sitting on my GSP for about a day towards the it's voyage. Then it ends up in the exact same spot it seems to love and enjoy so much...lol.

Hi,

I have a RBTA too. I also have a green one about a foot away from it and they seem to do just fine. My RBTA moved into the very high flow point of the tank and loves it. I have a SERIOUS current in my tank too. I noticed the anemones like it rippin and so does my blue tang.

I wouldn't stray out of the bubble family myself. My 2 seem to do just fine and haven't moved away from each other. In my old 60 gal 4 years ago I had a small carpet and a unidentified large small dinner plate sized sebaeish anemone that came in on my liverock and the carpet started to kill the other one so it had to go since the other was more important and they were 2 feet away from each other. Eventually the more toxic wins, and in this case the carpet ALWAYS wins of course since they are very toxic. In the wild you don't see them mixed. They will always try to kill each other if too close. They say 2 feet is ok, but I don't think so unless in the same family.

Just my 2 cents though. If your gonna do it then I would get a less toxic anemone for your second choice.

Yeah, I just don't know what to do. I know I definitely want them separated as far as possible because I'm going to try 2 different species of Clowns...lol. (crossing fingers) I'm thinking either a Green Bubble Tip or a LTA. Maybe I should just wait until my RBTA splits again and stick with those...lol. We'll see. I need to do a lot more research into it first.

Back