Anemone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

just guessing, but i would say yes...this is kinda off the subject, but i was at my lfs today when the new shipment came in..they got 4 carpet anemone's, each the size of a dinner plate when open!!!..they also accidentally ordered 2 of those $200 purple firefish..they put them all together in one tank!!!!!!i am waiting to see this disater happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had my mandrin for about 2.5 years, and have also always had anenomes in the tank. You should be fine. I am not saying it is a sure bet, but most likely you will be fine :)

-augustus

I'm also at a loss as to what kind of Purple Firefish is worth $200.00. I'm familiar with the $30.00 Purple Firefish...lol.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=173

As for the Mandarin, most sites I read while deciding if I were going to get one all said that you shouldn't put them in a tank with an anemone. However, I've had one in a tank with a RBTA for about 8 months now. I've also seen other tanks with Mandarins and RBTAs together.
I guess it may depend on the anemone. Some are more prone to catching and eating fish. I don't think I'd put them in with a Condylactis, which I think are more prone to stinging and eating fish. In fact, I watched a Condy sting and eat 2 fish within 30 seconds at a LFS yesterday. Granted, one fish was a Goldfish...the other was a Clown Goby.
Having the anemone 8" off the ground won't really matter....for a couple reasons. My Mandarin swims all over the tank. Normally staying close to the bottom OR close to the tops of the rockwork. He also swims up the glass quite often snatching mysid shrimp that are against the glass. The other reason is that even though your anemone may be 8" off the ground now, doesn't mean it'll stay there. Also, depending on the anemone, it might decide to move. Condys and RBTAs are prone to doing that.

Surely he meant the Helfrichi firefish, not the purple.

I've had a GBTA and mandarin coexisting for around 9 months in my tank. Never had a problem. You will have a much higher degree of danger with a carpet anemone though.

so your saying they put 2 200$ fish in with a anonome?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will an anemone harm a mandarin dragonet?

I've had both in the same tank w/o any issues. I bought a used 80 gallon tank complete w/ reef/livestock.
The reef was 3 years old and it had:

an ENORMOUS +10inch LTA (see my avatar) and
1 very fat, happy Mandarin goby in the same tank.

So, yes, it can be done!:)

Sadly, the goby--Mr. Kesey--died in a tragic rock-scaping accident a few days after I relocated the tank.:cry:
(But the LTA played no part in the accident.)

I currently have a sebae thats about 14 inches in a 75 gal reef with a mandarin. They have been together for about 10 months with no problems.

Back