Anenome

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rainier29

Does anybody have a good recommendation for an anenome for my Nano? I don't want it to overpower my tank So it would need to be a smaller species. I think my Perc would appreciate it. :)

IF you can find it (BIG IF), get a beadlet anemone. NOT a beaded anemone, a beadLET anemone. (Sorry about all the capital letters :) ).

No one at LFS has ever heard of them, but they are smallish, brightly colored and very tolerant of temperature changes.

I do not know if the perc would host it, though. It's not supposed to, but my ocellaris hosted a hairy mushroom colony, so who knows!

Good luck

Julia :)

P.S. Beautiful perc :)

Thank you Julia. He's a pretty friendly guy. I will see if I can at least find a picture of a Beadlet Anemone.

hmmm i don't knwo how big they get, but how about a purple tuve anemone, i dont' think your clown will host it but they're quite cute anemones.
sometimes even if you get the right one they won't host it or it will take some long time for them to find the anemone.
I'd say a long tentacle anemone but they get big too .

Hey, you won't believe this, but I just saw a pair of percs (or ocellaris, I could not tell for sure) hosting a big clam! I will take a picture tomorrow if I can stop by the place, and post it for giggles! :) If you decide to get a tube anemone, make sure it is tropical, not mediterranean.
Julia.

Right now he's hosting in my frogspawn but I would prefer him to be in an anenome.

Small tanks really are not your best bet for most anemone species, especially when corals are also being kept. Keep in mind that pretty much all anemones are not true reef creatures and are found just outside of reef formations or lagoons. They can often cause more havock/damage than what your experiencing now with the clown.

<<Tube anemones>> can sometimes be an acceptable choice since they are primarily stationary and non zooxanthellae. The clown will not host in any of these though.

Although clowns tend to find security in hosting something, they by no means need an anemone to do well. You are far better off getting a mate and pairing the existing clown. This tends to add longevity and reduced stress for most clowns. Depends on the actual species though.

You might try to remove the coral and see if the clown adopts something else (less destructive) and in that time try pairing the clown. Re introducing the frogspawn at a later date may yield completely different results.

Cheers
Steve

Ok I see your point steve. Now...how do I tell what gender my clown is?

In general a mated pair will signify the female as being larger than the male by a fair significance with the exception of A. perideraion and A. sandaracinos. In a solo fish, it will greatly depend on the size and estimated age (months) of the clown. If still on the smaller side >1", there is a decent chance it is still sexless or male, the larger/older it gets the more likely it is to be female. Even if unpaired, the clown will eventually progress in sex to a female but takes time.

Best chances for pairing are often introducing two sexless clowns simultatiously but that by no means suggests it cannot be done after the fact. By far the easiest and safest means would be to introduce as small a potential mate as possible (1" or less) which helps ensure the new addition is sexless or at the very least male. It eliminates the potential of two females and will deter aggression from the incumbant clown. More often than not the aggressive behavior being limited to mild chancing and/or tail nipping but not resulting in any kind of serious injury.

Cheers
Steve

Ok...So does anyone out there have a perc that's no bigger than 1"?? :) Mine's about 1 3/4"

Contact Ilham (Elmo18), he may be able to "hook you up" there. He's about the most knowledgable person that could help you with this. :cool:

Cheers
Steve

Hi there. People here have given great advice already regarding your anemone and clown situation. While it is doable to keep an anemone is a small tank such as your 16 gallon, it will either do one or two things: outgrow your tank very fast and kill other corals if you do have them in the tank. While I don't recommend it, I have seen 12 gallon tanks with Heteractis crispa in them, and albeit a species tank. However, this tank has a larger sump and so the water volume in respect is much higher than your 16 gallon.

You have to understand that in our 'viewable boxes', clownfishes do not need an anemone to survive. In fact, survival records of anemones are still low, even counting the arguably common bubble-tip anemones. There really are no "easy" to keep anemones. Salinity and temp fluctuations, IMO, are very detrimental to keeping anemones alive. The other important aspects of course, are feeding and lighting. I am by no means telling you not to do it, since that is your choice, however, there are other options. Flowerpots, vases, a coffee mug, are just some options. In fact, you can get pretty creative.

On the other hand, a pair of true perculas will be fine even in a 10 gallon tank. I do not recommend it, however, as a 10 gallon tank gets rather dirty fast. If you are looking for another true percula, shoot me a PM and I will steer you in the right direction.

Best,
Ilham

Elmo...good points. I would appreciate any help you can give me in finding another perc. A couple clarifying points though...

I'm cheating on the nano. In my system I have a 30 gallon sump :) and a 15 gallon refugium. My main concern in this situation isn't necessarily having an anenome for my clown to host in...it's getting him OUT of my frogspawn and now my brain coral. He doesn't seem to be effecting the FS too much but he's really flattening out the brain (I've temporarily moved it into my sump).

I certainly appreciate all the information you guys have given me on this and would prefer now to find him (or her) a mate).

Back