Angelfish question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrightme43

Hi Everybody. This is question I have been racking my brain with for a while now. What in the heck are the spikey looking things on the bottom of angelfish's gill covers for? I havent seen them used for anything yet. Are they for defense, offense, just look cool, or what? I mean most things on animals serve a purpose or they fade away. They have to be for something. Anybody know what? Or have a idea or a guess? Steve

wrightme43 said:
Hi Everybody. This is question I have been racking my brain with for a while now. What in the heck are the spikey looking things on the bottom of angelfish's gill covers for? I havent seen them used for anything yet. Are they for defense, offense, just look cool, or what? I mean most things on animals serve a purpose or they fade away. They have to be for something. Anybody know what? Or have a idea or a guess? Steve

Hmmm, probably for attracting females :badgrin: . Im guessing :p .

reeffan

The spikes on the gill covers of angelfish are for protection. If an angelfish happens to find itself in the mouth of another fish, they erect their gill spikes causing pain to the predator....which in most cases the predator will spit out the angelfish. I believe the spikes are more utilized when the fish are juvinile....and the adults simply retain this attribute.

Greg

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Great info Greg. The only info I could find was that it is merely a trait of Angelfish and helps to differentiate between some angels and butterflies.

Back