Another batch of coral macros

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IS or non-IS?

Tom

I assume you mean Image Stablization on the lens? No, none of the lenses I currently own have IS. My other half bought me a Canon T1i for christmas, that comes with two lenses, both of which have IS which will make my shots improve drastically I think. He's just making me wait til Christmas to actually use the camera. :( lol

I assume you mean Image Stablization on the lens? No, none of the lenses I currently own have IS. My other half bought me a Canon T1i for christmas, that comes with two lenses, both of which have IS which will make my shots improve drastically I think. He's just making me wait til Christmas to actually use the camera. :( lol

sorry, thats what I meant. Which definitely gives me that much more props for those photos being as crisp as they are even with no IS.

Talk about a tease knowing what you get for christmas then having to wait 2 weeks to get to play with it :( well it will be worth the wait though. The new photos will be stunning!

Tom

sorry, thats what I meant. Which definitely gives me that much more props for those photos being as crisp as they are even with no IS.

Talk about a tease knowing what you get for christmas then having to wait 2 weeks to get to play with it :( well it will be worth the wait though. The new photos will be stunning!

Tom

The macro lens makes quite a bit of difference in quality. To get the super close polyp shots, I put the front of the lens against the glass and hold it there. No IS needed. ;)

Yeah, it kinda sucks. lol. But yeah, I can't wait.

Brie, how far back in the tank can you get a good macro with the 100mm?

Hmm.. Ya know, i've never tried to shoot anything in the very back. Since i'm usually trying for polyp macros, I chose something thats close enough to do that(and they're usually about 6" away). I know for sure i've shot something that was about 12" back with good results.

Have you ever used an extension tube set? I just wondered, because I can't get further back than a foot either, and even then it is iffy.

Hmmm nope. I do have a doubler, but its cheap and the quality of image I get with it is crap.

Alot of photo quality has to do with the quality of lens you are using, and the quality+thickness of glass you are shooting through, plus the water, and lighting.

If you go look at my latest post(purple plasma, formosa, setosa), the purple plasma is in an Elos tank. I was floored with the quality of the photo. Thats 100% uneditted. I typically at least sharpen an image a little bit, and/or remove some noise. The formosa and setosa were shot through the glass of our big 300gal display. I had to sharpen both of those photos, even though they were shot the same way(macro lens flush against the glass, holding perfectly still, coral was about the same depth away).

Canon 40D and Canon 100mm macro lens, probably the same lens you are using. I am shooting thru starphire glass on my 300.

Are you using CS4 to edit?

Ever used Elements 7?

Hmm.. Yeah, glass is the same on the 300gal at the shop. We should get similar image quality, all factors considered.

I have a Tamron macro, 90mm. I really want that Canon 100mm. lol.

I use CS4, yeah. I put my old CS2 on the computer at the shop so alot of the coral shots were processed with that instead.

I've used Elements, not a big fan.

Last edited:
Anyway to get an old copy of CS2???:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had it on my old computer and it got dropped in the transition to my new beast!!!

I hope I can make it over to the BBQ next summer, I would love to sit and chat with you, preferably somewhere close to a reef tank!!!!

Anyway to get an old copy of CS2???:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had it on my old computer and it got dropped in the transition to my new beast!!!

I hope I can make it over to the BBQ next summer, I would love to sit and chat with you, preferably somewhere close to a reef tank!!!!

lol I'll see what I can do. That really blows.

Feel free to hit me up on here anytime. :)

Nice pics!

I don't think there is much to gain using IS lenses, at least with this, your 1/25-1/40th images look pretty dang sharp!

Back