another green algae ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

i have been after this stuff for ever, to no avail...here is a couple pics not very good though,this stuff seems to stay on just the rocks its on now, most of the lr has none, i have done water changes,quality is right on. flow is good...its not hair, its like green cotton, some is hard to get off, other falls off View attachment 38498

View attachment 38499

I'd get a Tang or two depending on size of aquarium, even most Angels will eat it. You must have a fair amount of Nitrates and or Phosphates to be feeding that algae though. Do you have a sump/fuge to help keep it out of DT? You also might want to take your water into LFS to double check your readings, I just recently verified all my test kits and needed to buy a couple to replace outdated kits. By the way Hows my home state doing, born in Columbus, IN ( Vernon County) way back in '61

Good luck, Todd

Last edited:
I'd get a Tang or two depending on size of aquarium, even most Angels will eat it. You must have a fair amount of Nitrates and or Phosphates to be feeding that algae though. Do you have a sump/fuge to help keep it out of DT? You also might want to take your water into LFS to double check your readings, I just recently verified all my test kits and needed to buy a couple to replace outdated kits. By the way Hows my home state doing, born in Columbus, IN ( Vernon County) way back in '61

Good luck, Todd
the home state is well....the lfs did a full panel of test everything is great...dont under stand it,,,had this setup for a long time, it is bb, the sump is equipment only for now...

Is there any room in your sump to create a lighted fuge and put in some Chaeto or other macro-algae as this would suck up any food that was available and should keep DT clear. Have you tried Emerald Crabs yet???

I'm trying to get my cousin Terry from Indianapolis to come out this fall for some Salmon & Steelhead fishing on our Olympic Peninsula which will totally ruin his local fishing for years to come haha... 10-20 lb Coho, 15-50lb Chinook, 8-20lb Steelies all on wild Northwest coastal rivers.

Todd

Is there any room in your sump to create a lighted fuge and put in some Chaeto or other macro-algae as this would suck up any food that was available and should keep DT clear. Have you tried Emerald Crabs yet???

I'm trying to get my cousin Terry from Indianapolis to come out this fall for some Salmon & Steelhead fishing on our Olympic Peninsula which will totally ruin his local fishing for years to come haha... 10-20 lb Coho, 15-50lb Chinook, 8-20lb Steelies all on wild Northwest coastal rivers.

Todd
nice on the fishing...yes i do have room but not sure what to do....is being bb making alot of trouble

i have been after this stuff for ever, to no avail...here is a couple pics not very good though,this stuff seems to stay on just the rocks its on now, most of the lr has none, i have done water changes,quality is right on. flow is good...its not hair, its like green cotton, some is hard to get off, other falls off View attachment 38498

View attachment 38499
anyone know what type this is

I looked through a bunch of my books and may have found out what it is Cladophora and says that larger Tangs and Urchins are the best for controlling it.

Good luck, Todd

Ya Its food source is the Nitrate being produced by bacteria and since it is the only algae present it takes all thats available. If you put a nice clump of macro like Chaeto in the sump with a 24hr light schedule it will out compete it for food and it will slowly fade away. I feed pretty heavy to an overstocked tank but since I have a large fuge filled with Chaeto, Caulerpa mexicana and misc macro algaes there is nothing in DT except some Halimeda which I want there. I've seen some inexpensive submersible LED sticks that would be great for a small fuge section w/ Chaeto at LFS. So if you add macro to fuge and maybe pick up a Emerald crab or Urchin I don't think it would last long in DT

Todd

Ya Its food source is the Nitrate being produced by bacteria and since it is the only algae present it takes all thats available. If you put a nice clump of macro like Chaeto in the sump with a 24hr light schedule it will out compete it for food and it will slowly fade away. I feed pretty heavy to an overstocked tank but since I have a large fuge filled with Chaeto, Caulerpa mexicana and misc macro algaes there is nothing in DT except some Halimeda which I want there. I've seen some inexpensive submersible LED sticks that would be great for a small fuge section w/ Chaeto at LFS. So if you add macro to fuge and maybe pick up a Emerald crab or Urchin I don't think it would last long in DT

Todd
would it be that easy If you put a nice clump of macro like Chaeto in the sump with a 24hr light schedule it will out compete it for food and it will slowly fade away.

Yes, it actually is that easy. As you don't have an abundance of Nitrates a little Chaeto will pretty much deplete it as fast as it is being produced. I just cleaned out a whole bunch of macro from my fuge a short time ago and had a small algae cycle show up in the DT on the walls but was gone in a matter of 3 days as the Caulerpa in fuge grew out abunch of new fronds. I have 10 fish (none big) in a 75g w/ 40g fuge and feed frozen food 2x (full cube +) and flake 1x each day plus Phytoplex 2-3x a week. AND 0 Nitrates

Todd

Back