• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Another OBD beauty 72"x48"x20"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bricky

Just wanted to share some photos of the sweet tank I just picked up from OBD. This 72"x48"x20" (nearly 300 gallons) is going to house macro algae's and montipora's.

Nice! I'll bet that bad boy's heavy! My 112 from them was about all 2 guys could lift. Probably 200 pounds. You're gonna love that tank - I love mine!

Lol I'm picturing island rock style with dsb. Mostly macros and some monti here and their!?!?
-d

I'd say you guys are pretty much right on with the exception of the DSB. I'll do an inch of Carib Sea mud topped with an inch of sand on the front 2' of the tank. The remainder will be for my monti's and elegance coral. Not sure what kind of fish yet though. Leaf fish, frog fish, shrimp fish, blennies, Rhino, just so many cool fish you can do in a tank like this. With it being shallow I can hand feed most anything, with caution of course.

Tank and stand look great. Will it be plumbed into the DT in the house?
Large tanks like that without a euro-brace make me nervous.

As long as they aren't jumpers sounds good. So the other tank is still in the living room?

Tank and stand look great. Will it be plumbed into the DT in the house?
Large tanks like that without a euro-brace make me nervous.

I know what you mean. There is a bit more to the stressing than the water's depth in a wide tank. Any wave motion set up by water flow which is a good thing, can add a lot of force against the glue joints. So far they all have all held well, but similar to Dave, I worry about IFs or WHENs.

After having the Elos tank for 5 years now and no sign of the seams giving, I'm not to worried about this tank either. Eric puts a lot of work and calculations into these tanks before they leave his shop, and thus I'm not going to loose any sleep. Plus, the tank is in the garage and water on the floor is of no concern.

This tank will be plumbed into the main system. It's basically a 300 gallon display fuge. This new tank along with the 85 gallon tank (Cryptic refugium)I picked up from Jonas at Sierra Pets will give me close 850 gallons total for now.

Really nice tank/refugium from OBD can you show a picture of the bottom? Is it doubled in the center can't tell are those glue lines between layers of glass?

After having the Elos tank for 5 years now and no sign of the seams giving, I'm not to worried about this tank either. Eric puts a lot of work and calculations into these tanks before they leave his shop, and thus I'm not going to loose any sleep. Plus, the tank is in the garage and water on the floor is of no concern.

This tank will be plumbed into the main system. It's basically a 300 gallon display fuge. This new tank along with the 85 gallon tank (Cryptic refugium)I picked up from Jonas at Sierra Pets will give me close 850 gallons total for now.

I have help OBD build a # of tanks and know they go the extra mile to produce a quality product.
I am sure you will not have any issues with the tank.
Just something in my head that says "Really?"

Looks great Matt. I have to say it looks even better in person in your already impressive garage. I can't wait to see to see the final outcome of this new project of yours. It will be a nice addition to your already amazing set up.

Really nice tank/refugium from OBD can you show a picture of the bottom? Is it doubled in the center can't tell are those glue lines between layers of glass?

Spinner, it is a piece of 1/2" thick glass for the bottom with 4" wide x 1/2" thick euro bracing around the edge. The euro brace piece at the end with the overflow is actually 6" wide since there are three holed drilled through it and the bottom for 1-1/2" Sch 80 bulkheads. Matt has installed a 3/4" thick piece of nice quality plywood between the stand and the tank for support. The lines you see are the adhesive between the bottom and the euro bracing.

Back