Anthias Compatability

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some input on a couple of Anthias for my tank. Right now I have (120 gallon with 140# LR in the display)

1 Magnificant Rabbitfish
1 Kole Tang
2 Black Onyx True Percs
1 Six-Line Wrasse

I have been tossing around adding a couple of anthias to the mix. After talking with a local reefer, I discovered one of my LFS has 2 Sunburst Anthias in (about 2 weeks) and they are eating. My question is, do you think I would have compatibility issues with the 6 line wrasse? He's about 3 inches in size, and I haven't really seen him act aggressively towards the clowns, other than occasionally raising his fin. I have plenty of rockwork/hiding places, and the 6-line spends all day cruising the rocks. Thoughts? I haven't actually looked at the Anthias myself, yet. I wanted to first see if I would have a problem before I go and check them out firsthand.

Thanks!

I wouldn't think so. The anthias swim around so much more actively and tend to hug the glass at the top and front of the rockwork. They shouldn't really interact much. I love my anthias. Several of the lyretail anthias look different and can be kept together if you decide against the sunbursts. They also seem to require less space.

Hi Nikki,
The Sunburst Anthias is a deepwater fish that was once listed in the Hawkfish family. It is quite timid and prefers dimly lit aquariums to our halides. They are best kept only one per tank unless the tank is large (350+ gal).

It is possible to keep one in a high light reef tank but provide plenty of overhangs for it to hide under. Once they settle in they are quite hardy and keep to themselves.

In your case an established Sixline Wrasse posses a moderate risk of harassing the Anthias. They like Mysis, raw shrimp, freeze-dried plankton, and other meaty foods.

HTH,
Kevin

My sixline (9 month in this tank) basically almolst killed my new Leppord Wrasse It has since been removed to another temporary tank by itself and is eating and doing much better. So I'v heard to add fish to an established tank one should rearrange the rock so as to change the territory areas and place into tank in late afternoon with the lights off ( I did all but rearrange my rock that I've done too much lately) Good luck :) Paul

Thanks for the responses everyone!

jlehigh - I did see that article, and hoped that someone could elaborate on that :)

So, I think I'm deciding against the Fatheads to find an Anthias that is better suited for my aquarium (not ones that prefer dimly lit aquariums). Perhaps a species such as P. bartlettorum/Bartlett's Anthias, P.squamipinnis/Lyretail Anthias (bc_slc mentioned), or any other suggestions? How do you think these would fare with my current stock? Should I only keep one in a 120 gallon (~160 gallons total), or can I get away with more than one (one male with female or 2 females)?

Nikki, I added 5 Lyretails at once to my 300. Nature weeded out the weak ones, now I have 3 left, one of them has turned into a male and everybody is just downright happy. I haven't had any issues with the other fish except for the occasional squabble during feeding, but I figure that is normal.
I don't have a wrasse in the tank tho, so I can't help you there.
Here's a pic of the one that turned into a male.

Last edited:
Like Kevinpo said, if you are getting the fathead anthia just get a single one. Barlett and lyretail are pretty hardy and easy to get to eat compared to some of the other anthias. The 6-line wrasse in my experience has been a nasty fish to say the least. I have one and he is living in exile in my cube tank. He single handedly killed 3 different mandarin fish that were at least twice his size. He would even pick on the naso tang. Since I wanted to get some more fairy wrasses, I decided to put him in the cube instead of the big tank as I would never be able to get him out when he turns nasty to other fish.

For your size tank, I would get 6 female lyretails or barletts. You are likely to loose a couple regardless, so it may bring you back to a smaller number. They like eating frequently, but I will admit I feed mine once a day and they are doing quite well actually.

Lyretail Anthias are just Stunning looking... Expecially the mail... I added 4 to my tank.. 3f 1m... After the course of 6m or so I still have 1m, 1f... They seemed to be pretty hardy and look awesome... I have plans of adding about 4 or 5 more females... They were Extremely shy at first though...

Have no Idea on the 6line though... I only have a Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse in my tank in the Wrasse catagory... My 6line died about this time last yeah in my low sg vacation issue..

James

here is a couple pics of the 4 lyretails that I started with

0e7d5fe5.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

James

Hi Nikki,
I would suggest Lyretail over the Bartlett's because of the Sixline. The Lyretails are larger and less expensive. They are also commonly available. I prefer the ones from Fiji because of their coloration. This is a highly variable species in regards to coloration depending on their locale. I would recommend 1 supermale and 4 females. Be sure that the females are really females and not submales. This can be determined by observing the first dorsal spine. It should not be elongated at all. They look just like females otherwise. Wholesale suppliers often ship submales as females which usually ends up in the death of one or two in the long term. Hobbyists often report females fighting and killing each other when in reality it is submales who are battling it out.
They are hardy fish that can be difficult to get eating. I would make sure they are eating at the LFS first. Once established they are quite aggressive feeders. Raw shrimp from the store is their favorite food but it must be cut into very small pieces.

Regards,
Kevin

Wow Kevin... thanks for the info... That would proabbly Explain why 2 of my Females just all of a sudden disappeared after about 6m or so

James

My personal favorite Anthias are the P. ventralis. They are one of the smallest and most peaceful. Unfortunately they are one of the most difficult to keep :( . I have 2 from the Cook Islands.

Regards,
Kevin
ventralis.JPG

Wow those are nice as well... Since they are harder to keep they probably cost more correct?

James

Wow! Gorgeous fish

Thank you for all the great information everyone!

Hi James,
Yes that and the fact that they are found in only a few locations. They also are more delicate and don't ship particularly well. They run about $50 ea. :shock:

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin,
is it because of there poor shipping record that makes them so difficult to keep, or is it something else?
Hate to do this to you, but could you explain what you do to keep your anthias healthy? Is there anything you feel is paramount to keeping them healthy? What makes the Ventralis so tough to keep?
Nick

Hi Nick,
Anthias have (at least the 10 or so species I have kept) very high metabolisms and eat very specific foods. They also have specific needs in the way they sleep (they normally sleep in corals or holes in the rockwork). Anthias also have a small body size/mass which prevents them from surviving long without food containing high nutritional value.

The collectors and wholesale outlets do not feed the fish and do not meet any of the needs listed above. This results in LFS receiving fish that are near starved, shocked, scared, psychotic, terrified, and........you get the idea. Then the LFS tries to feed them flake food :rolleyes: and the customer does too which results in them lasting about 4-6 days in which they hide in the rocks never to be seen again. In addition the average tank is not big enough to house a harem (1 male and 4-6 females) or the hobbyist doesn't want to give up that much tank capacity to just one species. This results in the fish thinking the other 10,000 Anthias he was with were eaten or are hiding and so remains in the rock waiting for the coast to clear.

There are exceptions/variations to the above scenario and some of the larger and more aggressive Anthias species adapt to solitary life, but on average the above leads to the reputation that Anthias species are difficult to keep.

So what is the secret you ask? I can't tell you that :evil:

Just kidding :D

This is what has worked for me:
I always keep at least one (and usually 6) Anthias in stock at all times. I always keep them in the same tank together. I add the new ones to the same tank and they dive into the rocks (I have several large rocks with holes in them). Within an hour at most they see the other Anthias out in the open and they come out to swim with them. I feed 4-5 times a day for the first 3-4 days until they recognize the food bowl and come charging to the front when they see it along with the established Anthias. Then it's twice a day after that. A few of the Anthias species I do not keep anymore because although they are more hardy they can be aggressive to the smaller species of Anthias (I will list the species if you want, but I'm getting rather windy here :lol: )

So my advice is to make sure the Anthias are eating before you take them home.

Here is the recipe I use:

Formula1 frozen cubes.
Freeze-dried plankton.
41-50 count raw shrimp, peeled.
Dried seaweed.
Crushed garlic.

I use equal portions of each (except the garlic) and chop them and place in an old Coolwhip container. I keep this mixture in the freezer until about 15-20 min before I feed. This mixture is the only food I use in my tank.

Regards,
Kevin

Wow, umm...could you be a little more specific Kevin??

Thanks for the info...I definately dont have room in my 58 gallon for any anthias, so this is all just good info to file away...
In your opinion, what is the minimum tank size for the most commonly kept, (or easiest kept) anthias species available.

Nick

I would say a group of 5 P. dispar Anthias could be kept in a 75 gal tank. Most species can be kept in a 125 or other 6' long tank without any trouble IMO.

Regards,
Kevin

Back