Anthias Compatability

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kevinpo said:
I would say a group of 5 P. dispar Anthias could be kept in a 75 gal tank. Most species can be kept in a 125 or other 6' long tank without any trouble IMO.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin - thank you again for awesome information! My tank is only 4 feet long (4'X2'X2')....would this be a problem for the Lyretail anthias?

Nikki I think you would be just fine with a few Lyretails... They dont get Excessively large and seem to take up about the middle portion of the tank... For about the first month or so they like to hide... (At least mine Did) From what I have Experienced they kinda like to stay in Areas they are comfortable in...

I'd say go for it... I started with 1m and 3f and 2 of the females Disappeared after about 6m... I plan to drop about 3 or 4 more Females just as soon as my tank gets back up and going and loaded full of sps again..

James

Here is a picture of my Supermale Lyretail taken by my friend Brian.

Regards,
Kevin
Anthias-male_by_Brian.jpg

Kevin,
Need some info from you here....
Have you ever heard of a Diamond Anthias? A local LFS has something labeled as such, and I've never ever seen one of these or heard of them... I used to work at HUGE wholesale/retail store in Hawaii that held about a million gallons of saltwater, (2 warehouses full)...so I can usually identify what type of fish I'm looking at etc....

This is a smaller purple/magenta fish with a row of 4 small white/silver diamonds along its dorsal region just below its dorsal fin. It swims more like a wrasse than an anthias, but it has an anthias-ish body. The closest thing I can find in all my book searching and internet searching is this:

Paranthias colonus (Ruby Anthias) also called a Pacific Creolefish by Scott Michael....
I'm at a loss man, cause this doenst quite look like it...any info you've got would be really helpful.

Edit, could also be possibly Psuedanthias hutomoi?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,
I believe that it is probably not an Anthia sp. but a fish from the Caribbean. I am waiting for a couple of pictures to come in. I found a couple of references to a fish called Blue Diamond Anthias on the web but no pictures or scientific names. It is listed as coming from the Caribbean.

The Creole fish is from the Tropical Atlantic and has a row of silver/light blue diamonds just below the dorsal. They are rather aggressive and look very similar to Anthias but are Paranthias which are more closely related to the grouper family.

Regards,
Kevin

Nikki-Thanks for starting this thread,and thank you Kevin and others for such great input.I have a 125G(barebottom,SPS,6')that houses a trio of Ocellaris clowns and a pair of Priolepis nocturno gobies.I would like to add a few lyrtail Anthias since they are active and like the high flow.Or,would it be possible to mix males of different species(2 or 3 total).Would I be better off with all females of one species?Will any of these combinations be compartible with the clowns?

I dont know about mixing males of different Species... however you do need 1 male in each group of Females... If there isnt one then they will undergo a sex operation and become a male... LOL... Anthias are a pretty passive fish and should get along with any other fish... Males of the same species are the only ones that I hear that arent compatible with..

James

It is quite possible to mix Anthias of different species (they mix in nature quite often). The trick is the right combination and introduction order :)
It would be best to introduce them all at once or the smallest/most timid anthias first. The downside to adding them all at once is the sudden increase in the bio-load. Most systems cannot handle it unless they are large (240+ gal).
An example of introduction order would be (only one male per species):
4 Dispar
4 Lori's
4 Bi-color or Bartlett's
4 Lyretail

The males of the above will spar and chase each other but if there are plenty of hiding places they will do OK.

The species I've had trouble with being too aggressive are:
Squarespot
Redbar/tri-color
Redcheek/Green

Regards,
Kevin
Note: I do not want to mislead anyone into thinking that Anthia species are easy to keep they are not but for me they are one of the most beautiful and interesting fish in the hobby.

Kevin,
Its tough to tell with the pic that you attached, but its a similar body shape, although the color is wrong. The colo of this fish is closest to mystery wrasse purple, (kinda pastel, metallic sheen etc) there are 4 diamond shaped spots along the dorsal region. The fish swims like a wrasse, (ie using pectoral fish vs caudal fin to move), and I know this is gonna sound goofy, but the head is shaped strangely and non anthias like. The mouth is almost on the bottom of the head, and is not predatory like....hope that makes sense....

BTW, ever heard of a Tierra Anthias? The same LFS has an anthias they've labeled as such, but I think its a female square spot, (Psuedanthias pleurotaenia)...

I greatly appreciate the information your giving here, and no, it doesnt make it sound like these are reletively easy fish to keep, just easier than I had perviously thought.

Nick

Hey Nick,
I believe the Diamond Anthias is actually a wrasse. I misplaced the scientific name for it :mad: When I looked it up the pictures I found showed lavender or purple coloration. You know how wrasses are, they can really change color as they mature or become males.

I haven't kept Tierra Anthias but if is eating well that is the most important step towards success.

Regards,
Kevin

Just an update.....Several weeks ago, Nick brought me the Resplendent Anthias he mentioned in his last post. An absolutely gorgeous fish, and this photo doesn't do it justice, a decent size, too. It is a male....has the elongated spine, and the male coloration. This fish eats like an absolute pig, is out most of the day floating in the center of the tank, and will take rests/hides under the coast to coast on occasion....it changes the direction it faces in the water column based on which side of the tank the ball valve is on. It isn't bothered by the other fish, and sleeps upside down under the coast to coast at night. He quickly learned I was the source of food :). I love this little guy, and hopefully will get some females for him.

Anthias.jpg

Somehow, "I told you so" just doesnt quite say enough.....:D

I'm glad he's doing so well Nikki. The fish looks MUCH better in color than it did in the LFS, and I thought it looked gorgeous there.

I noticed that Live Aquaria still has them listed for sale.......hint, hint.....maybe pick up a few females?

Nick

Wrasse & Anthias

Great thread guys thanks for starting it Nikki I have been watching and learning about these Beautiful fish :) My question Kevin & All is how would they get along in a tank with a small school of leopard wrasses ??? could it be done ? I think i would like to go with one of the Smaller species if at all possible?

kevinpo said:
It is quite possible to mix Anthias of different species (they mix in nature quite often). The trick is the right combination and introduction order :)
It would be best to introduce them all at once or the smallest/most timid anthias first. The downside to adding them all at once is the sudden increase in the bio-load. Most systems cannot handle it unless they are large (240+ gal).
An example of introduction order would be (only one male per species):
4 Dispar
4 Lori's
4 Bi-color or Bartlett's
4 Lyretail

The males of the above will spar and chase each other but if there are plenty of hiding places they will do OK.

The species I've had trouble with being too aggressive are:
Squarespot
Redbar/tri-color
Redcheek/Green

Regards,
Kevin
Note: I do not want to mislead anyone into thinking that Anthia species are easy to keep they are not but for me they are one of the most beautiful and interesting fish in the hobby.

See, even Kevin thinks you should get more.....

hint-hint-hint-hint-hint

:D:D:D:D

Nick

Back