Anthias Food

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
Ok I'm trying to figure out what would be the best food for a purple queen anthias and a sunburst anthias. So far the only thing they've shown interest in is krill but they're very timid eaters.

Any suggestions?

Mine ate frozen mysis very willingly. I made my own mix of frozen stuff based around mysis as a base. Probably 90% mysis, with some Cyclop-Eeze thrown in for color and added nutrition, as well as Sel-Con and Sweetwater zooplankton.

My bi-color anthias were very timid eaters until I moved them out of the QT and into the display. They now get caught up in the feeding frenzy of the tangs and eat everything I throw in there including bites of nori that the tangs tear apart.

hmm, I tried feeding arctic pods which is what cyclopeeze is, I think, but they would just spit it out. Also they won't eat brine or pellet food.

If I recall correctly, purple queens are one of the most difficult anthias to keep due to their feeding habits. I tried 2 about a year ago, neither of them ever ate anything and both died in about 4-5 weeks. They were also very shy and hardly ever seen. I've read the same about evansi anthias, but never tried them.

For other anthias, I've had the greatest response with frozen cyclopeeze. When I feed that to my goniopora, my lyretail anthias are all over it, even biting the end of my feeder.

my sunburst took a while to get used to my tank, i fed mysis at the beginning, after a short while though he'd eat the dry pellets too that i'd feed my other fish, i believe the brand of the pellets was omega

Back