any advice on a "hardy" fish?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Penny

I was looking for another fish to keep my clown company. I have a 55 gal with 20 pounds of live rock, my clown, and a toadstool mushroom (and a billion pods). I was checking out basslets, because they seem to get along well with clowns, and they look pretty sturdy. I hate adding anything to my tank, because I hate when something dies, so any suggestions would be great. I do regular water changes, my levels are fine. Oh, I also have some(a lot) hair algae on my rocks. Is there something hard to kill that would eat that? Thanks.

if your tank has cycled Why not get some tangs nice yellow or a lipstick tangs they eat alge and they have some really good colours for your tank.

Last edited:
I had a lawnmower blenny a few years ago, and I just loved watching him. I've never seen a bi color blenny, that sounds pretty. hmm...thinking

In a 55 you could have 2 different pairs of clowns, just make sure that you have 2 anenomes. If you only have one, I would buy one that is quite a bit smaller than the one in the tank and of the same kind. Clowns are very territorial. I would try one of the same kind and see if you could get a mated pair.

you CAN add another clown. I added a second false perc to my tank. just be sure the first one in is the smaller of the two to allow him to establish a territory. then add a larger one. there will be some "fighting" so to speak for a few days and even possibly a few weeks. dont worry, they wont actually hurt each other (pretty rare), they are just establishing dominance and seeing "whos boss". After they settle down and one succumbs to the other you have a good shot at a mated pair that may even spawn. whichever clown is the dominant one will be the female in the pair.

You can add another clown. You're right in thinking clowns don't get along...however, that's clowns of different species. Clowns of the same species get along great, and usually pair up. Depending on the species of clown you have, you'll want to add one of the same species that's either smaller or larger than the one you currently have. There doesn't have to be a large difference in size, but a visible difference is good. This will help insure they pair up. I wouldn't recommend adding a different species of clown though.

If your current clown is a Maroon, pairing them up is a little more difficult. You'll want to make sure that the second clown you add is much larger or tiny. If it's close to the same size, chances are, there will be a death.

You mentioned basslets...keep in mind that they can become quite aggressive so should be among the last fish added to a tank.

I'd also not recommend adding a tang, even yellows need a bit more space than a 55 offers.

Lawnmower Blennys are awesome, as are Starry Blennys and several others of the Blenny family. They might help with the hair algae. Unfortunately, not a lot of fish small enough for a 55 will do a lot of good. Rabbit fish and Tangs that do help with hair algae get a bit large for a 55. That being said, I do have a Spotted Rabbit in a 46, but it's small and I purchased it with the plans of it going into my 113 once it's set up and established.

I have a perc clown. I've had it for years, so it's pretty big. I would say about 2 1/2 inches, so it would be easier to find a smaller clown. I just did a 3/4 water change, so I'm going to let that cycle for a few weeks, then I'll pick up another clown, and a blenny. Thank you!:)

Sounds like a great plan!! Before getting a Blenny, make sure you have natural algae growing in your tank. It doesn't have to be overgrown with nuisance algae, but there needs to be a supply of natural algae for them to eat. Whether or not they'll eat Hair Algae will be hit and miss. Also keep in mind that some Blennys can get somewhat aggressive. I really like Lawnmowers and have had a few with no problems, but they are known to be mean buggers.

I would have said "natural algae? no problem!" a few days ago, but I really did a great job cleaning out the tank last night, so I'll definitely wait to get that blenny, until all the delicious stuff grows back! Thanks Sid! I would have hated to kill a lawnmower!!:)

a twelve line wrasse also known as the four line or neon wrasse is a pretty fish to watch that will not harm your clowns....

I would NOT GET A TANG as the tank is too small for it when it growqs up and that would happen in a year.

I would get a wrasse they can be beautifull. Keep in mind there are well over 100 different wrasses. Only a few get really big make sure to do some research first as some are Jumpers (fairy wrasses and some others)

A lawnmower blenny may help clean the rocks but will not look that pretty color wise. They do however have a neat personality!!!

:)

Paul

Oh no, no tangs for me! I had a yellow a few years ago, and I had so much trouble keeping it healthy, I just don't have a good enough setup. If wrasse's jump, maybe I should steer clear. I have an open top. Thanks for all your advice! :D

I'd say about 95% of reef tanks are open top. Some Wrasses are notorious jumpers, others aren't. If they jump, it's usually shortly after introduction. There's steps you can take to protect them while they acclimate to their surroundings. Most use "eggcrate." After a short period to let the fish get used to it's surroundings, the eggcrate can be removed and you're usually just fine.

On yellow tangs.. if you take your time and make sure you choose one that is healthy to begin with, and then monitor it closely for the first couple of weeks, you shouldn't have any problems. I have had mine without any problems for almost 2 yrs now. He even swims through my hand when it is in the tank.

Back