Any advice to save reef tank after aquarium fire

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

realranger

Two weeks ago, I experienced the unbelievable with my 125 reef tank. At 6:30 AM one of 5 powerheads overheated. The above water hanger portion caught fire. The fire traveled up the electrical cord and then ignited the plastic molding/trim on top of the tank. After burning through the hanger, the powerhead sank to the bottom, continueing to pump out black toxic water. My partner happended to be awake, for some reason not able to sleep. From the downstairs office room he heard some stange noise and came upstairs to find the fire.

I lost 3/4 of the fish in the tank. The live rock now appears to be dying. I am also experiencing a cyno bacteria bloom. I did huge 48 gallon water change the morning of the fire. I have done small water changes every two days since. I have replaced all carbon in both fluval 404's twice. Does anyone have any advice at this point?

Also I have ordered (and back ordered) a 180 Aqueon reef ready tank, sump refugium, skimmer and return pump. The old tank was a simple set up with only a back pack skimmer, the two fluvals, 5 power heads, and 100 lbs of live rock. Very soon, hopefully depending on the back order, I will be setting up the new tank. I is a bit scarey since I have never done the sump etc thing. I will be posting asking for advice and help.

BTW, the manufacturer is examining the powerhead and appears that they are going to cover the damage. Time will tell.

WOW!!
Really sorry to here that.
You didn’t say anything about running activated carbon, you should run lots.

What questions exactly do you have??
Sorry about your loss..
A sump is easy It's like a canster filter but open on top..
You'll love it when you get all the equipment out of the tank and into the sump very clean and nice:)

What questions exactly do you have??
Sorry about your loss..
A sump is easy It's like a canster filter but open on top..
You'll love it when you get all the equipment out of the tank and into the sump very clean and nice:)

The question is, what else can I do, if anything to keep the tank going until I switch over to the 180. Although I have had the other tank up and running about 8 years. It ws low tech, and I didn't do much research along the way. I set it up, did the water changes and let it go. Very low teck on teh equipment too.

lots of carbon, water changes, and observation. You can also try to chemical chemical sponges. Anything to ensure all the contaminants are removed from the water.

Only other option would be to find someone near you that can house any livestock while you wait for the new setup.

Get drastic?

Use the tank to fill some rubbermaids w/powerheads or filtration, put all the fish/inverts in them, then completely empty tank, refill part way and empty again, fill, let stand then put livestock back.

Or get REALLY drastic:

Get a bunch of rubbermaids/use bath tub, mix up water, let sit overnite, move all livestock and rock into it, completely empty tank, refill a bit and empty again to rinse out sand, then fill up, move everything back.

Either of those moves would be much like moving your tank as far as the live stock is concerned, but if there really is some nasty chemical in the water that's killing them, I'd prioritize getting it out by any means. That said, I think what you're seeing might be delayed color loss from things that were already dead.

lots of carbon, water changes, and observation. You can also try to chemical chemical sponges. Anything to ensure all the contaminants are removed from the water.

Only other option would be to find someone near you that can house any livestock while you wait for the new setup.

I forgot to mention that I did put in Chemi clean. Thinking of that, I need to revitalize it and run it for a second time.

Get drastic?

Use the tank to fill some rubbermaids w/powerheads or filtration, put all the fish/inverts in them, then completely empty tank, refill part way and empty again, fill, let stand then put livestock back.

Or get REALLY drastic:

Get a bunch of rubbermaids/use bath tub, mix up water, let sit overnite, move all livestock and rock into it, completely empty tank, refill a bit and empty again to rinse out sand, then fill up, move everything back.

Either of those moves would be much like moving your tank as far as the live stock is concerned, but if there really is some nasty chemical in the water that's killing them, I'd prioritize getting it out by any means. That said, I think what you're seeing might be delayed color loss from things that were already dead.

That is an excellent, and drastic idea. I might be able to borrow a 75 gallon tank from a friend. I can trasfer the live stock into it with 1/2 or more of the live rock. Now I have to figure out what to do with the remaining live rock as it could be 2 weeks before the new tank is in. Perhaps I could find another loaner tank.

That could also make the transfer to the new tank alot easier, less stressful and easier on the critters. I could then really take by time with the breakdown and more importantly the setup. Thanks!!

+1

can't say enough about water changes.

If you could borrow enough items to set up a simple sump with an overflow box to surface skim into/thru carbon that would also be big plus.

Todd

Wow that sucks. On the plus side, it sounds like the powerhead manufacturer is taking responsibility. Can you post some pics of the damage?

48 Gallon wc's aren't even big enough, do more of them or as said start a new rubbermaid tank. The important thing it to match your tank temp. salinity etc as close as possible first & don't be afraid to move to a tub.

Hey RealRanger, I am local to ya. I have a 40 breeder and other stuff to get you through if you need it. I'm no expert but I'm happy to give you a hand... Let me know what you need.

-Todd

Back