Any advise on chillers..anybody using an arctica titanium chiller?good or bad?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking to get chillers for both of my set ups..my 180 display with 75 gallon sump and shallow 90 with 100 gallon sump..so 2 chillers and I do not want to make a mistake..foster and smith has a sale on this chiller right now..any thoughts?and what pump should I buy with it?please any advise is appreciated..I have 0 experience with chillers..I am thinking adding 1/4 hp on each tank..thanks everybody for looking..

I just did a search in the equipment forum on reef central and the arctica titanium chillers seem to have a pretty good reputation.
I saw 2 that mentioned a small amount of noise from it, but dozens of others that said they were quiet.
One said he had a circuit board problem, but didn't have his chiller on a controller which caused him problems.
Over all they seem like a decent buy.
My first chiller was a Prime ( Current?). Lasted only about 3-4 years. I think the fan went out, but couldn't find anyone to fix it.
So I bought a used 1/2hp chiller Pacific Coast Imports (from crazy clown?), a few years ago.

The 180, should have atleast 1/3hp chiller.
The smaller one might be ok with a 1/4hp.
Gonna put these guys outside? I would.:)

So 1/4 is too little?..it says for tank up to 260..hood to know..and outside why?heat,noise..?

While it is rated for 260 gallons ( remember the skilter 400 was rated for something like a 125 gallons ), that is the upper range of it's limits. IMO this will make it run more. I like being in the lower half of a products rating limit. I'm sure others will disagree, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I gotta be me:)

If you can find a sheltered spot outside, you will be much happier IMO. Less heat and noise. I realized the noise wouldn't be much of a factor with your tanks being where they are. But you would be adding heat to the same space the tanks are at.
I have my chiller outside on my patio. I used 22' of pvc pipe and something like 24 pvc 90's

I have my generator on the side of my house, in a dog house type cover.

My chiller is out on my patio under a planter bench with a large planter on each side.

I agree with Finn. Get a chiller rated for bigger. A larger one wont have to run as hard and long. It will last longer.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

LOL
That would be for your chillers. I cant imagine anyone thinking you would be in the "Doghouse"
Let me know if you are interested in some trade.

If any one IS sent to the dog house, and you dont have one, Peppie can build it for you! Could be nice enough, you wont want to go back home!

Lol I've got a dog house!
Sits on me deck. Anyways why not an ac unit for ur garage nata?
-d

I want to be prepared for 83 and over summer days..don't want to always babysit with fans and miss out on summerfun..

This weekend will be a good test with the weather warming up.
Take note of the temp early and then late in the afternoon each day untill this mini warming spell passes. See if there is a trend. Then do the same for a couple days when it's cooler and then compare the data.

Im following along. I didnt care much for putting frozen jugs of water in my sump and change em out. Did that alot last summer! I wanna play in the sun and not just watch my tank get hot then chilled then hot again.

I have a portable airconditioner that draws so much power that all my electricity goes out....the one for the window(got one too)is no option coz I would never be able to let my room air out and with too large tank humidity is a big factor..coz I would close off my window ..and again I would need to babysit from day to day..how about leaving for a weekend ..still no option..my tanks drive me crazy in the summer lol..i am really worried sbout a true heat wave someday in the 90..s

I have a portable airconditioner that draws so much power that all my electricity goes out....the one for the window(got one too)is no option coz I would never be able to let my room air out and with too large tank humidity is a big factor..coz I would close off my window ..and again I would need to babysit from day to day..how about leaving for a weekend ..still no option..my tanks drive me crazy in the summer lol..i am really worried sbout a true heat wave someday in the 90..s

A chiller really does take the worry out of a hot summer and you can't go wrong which ever one you pick, the 1/3 hp or the 1/4hp for the big tank.
If it was me I would get the bigger one, just to be on the safe side. You have literally thousands invested in your tank and need to protect it. As long as I'm spending your money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

Another thought comes to mind,

Do you have enough available power in that part of your house?
If a window box ac pops the breaker???

That is a great question ......as those chillers draw 6-7 amps, which is the same as one of those 8000btu ac units.

Back