any Camel Cow "trunk" fish info

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefreefer

I would like as much information on this fish as possible, anyone with any experience, really tiny little fish, how big do they get? how noxious are they? I have gotten a lot of mixed reviews and this fish isn't in any of my books. The guy at my lfs said he keeps them with no problem, he also told me I could keep a clown tang in a 75G ha ha. I would like to see what any one has to say before I buy one How do you tell if they are stressed? I would like to keep one in a 180G mixed lps/sps with a few tangs and a few wrasse

I like this statement
"Camel Cowfish will learn to swim near the surface and spit water as a form of begging at feeding time. This begging behavior, though cute and charming, should be discouraged as it may swallow air and cause buoyancy problems."
Okay, and how do you discourage a fish from doing something like that.:rolleyes:

I like this statement
"Camel Cowfish will learn to swim near the surface and spit water as a form of begging at feeding time. This begging behavior, though cute and charming, should be discouraged as it may swallow air and cause buoyancy problems."
Okay, and how do you discourage a fish from doing something like that.:rolleyes:

feed it from the bottom of the tank, ignore it when it does that?

Thanks I have already seen that I'm still looking for a few people with some cow fish knowledge. Can you tell if they are excreting ostracitoxin. I am kind of fascinated, and want to learn more. I had a puffer Spiny Box and a trigger Picasso who would spit and splash when I got home from work, it would be nice to have a dog fish again. But it seems risky with the other fish he may kill. Do they just freak out and stress for no reason or is it a defense against larger fish. It says he can kill all the fish and himself, how do corals do?

Im going to guess that providing its in a larger aquarium with a nice skimmer theres no worries.

I hope so, I picked one up all my fish were really interested in him they all swam up to say high. I sometimes drop a whole cube of mysis shrimp. they are about the same size, the cow fish being smaller, so I think my tangs thought it was lunch time because they all swarmed him like they do at feeding. They soon realized he wasn't food and went on their way. He swam to the bottom to take in sand and spit it out. I will keep a good Eye on him and run lots of carbon.

Its like a game of wheres Waldo because he is hard to find. Like finding a swimming dime in a 180g.

Back