any H.O.B. skimers that I should avoid

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cmn3

ok first off im new here and new to reef keeping so hey all... and just wanted to know what hob skimers I should avoid I have a 45gallon tall reef set up not running yet still in the works but looking at using a hob and live rock with a couple of water movers to keep it all alive any advice would be great

Seaclones bite... Any that you can buy at most Petco/Petsmart stores should probably be avoided... HOB fuge/skimmer combos are rad...

did some calling around and that seems to be the best option... one guy I talked to recomended the cpr aqua fuge said he could get it for around 320 seems like fair deal comes with a light are there any better deals on that or a comparable set up?

Way overpriced and the skimmer on those units isn't your best option. There are tons of good HOB skimmers in the market now. The aquamaxx hob, Warner Marine, Octopus, DELTEC, etc. Honestly though if you continue in this hobby you might want to look at doing a sump and an in sump skimmer. Eventually you will go that route anyway. You can get that CPR unit much cheaper as well online if you really want to go that route. If your set on going HOB I would get the aquamaxx...AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer

The new hydor slim skim would be pretty sweet as an in tank skimmer and the price is good to...HY-S03101 Premium Aquatics - HY-S03101 Aquarium Supplies

BTW...Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

oh man...waay too much money, $320 is a total rip off!!
IMO, you should just get a real good hob skimmer, not hob/refugium combo...
they are too small in the hob configuration to be as useful as an in-sump refugium.

you need a skimmer that injects about 300lph air for that size tank, I would look at the following skimmers for 45g;
CPR AeroForce 2 Dual Pump Recirculating Protein Skimmer
AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer
Hang On Skimmers

and if you really still need to do a refugium /skimmer combo, then check these prices out for the same deal;
HOB refugium/skimmer body:
http://www.aquatraders.com/Hang-On-Refugium-with-Protein-Skimmer-24in-p/43017.htm
buy this pump to use with it:
CPR-ASP1-1000 Premium Aquatics - CPR-ASP1-1000 Aquarium Supplies
and this light:
FI-A-SL-1213 Premium Aquatics - FI-A-SL-1213 Aquarium Supplies

Last edited:
the more I read and the more I hear a sump is the best way to go in the long run. im sure I could just use my 12g nano that is the fuel for this adiction in the first place.... as a sump by just adding a few panels. but the question is if I go with a hang on skimer to get me by would that be good enough to use on the sump?

definately a sump is vastly superior...
I would just go to petco and get a 20g glass tank for a sump,
this way you have room for both skimmer and refugium.
but dont try to get a hob that you will run in the sump...
just get a good in-sump skimmer.
this skimmer is the best sub-$200 skimmer around,
and it gets 700lph air injection, easy to adjust and dial in, and dead silent.
SWC150 BMK

Back