Any Hints?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

I just picked up my live rock this evening and in the morning I want to start the process of getting it ready to put in my new tank.

Are there any helpful hints or things one should know about doing this. I have read a good deal about this topic. I know sometimes you do not get everything you need to know from reading.

So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Watch what you are grabbing as there are hitch hikers. Also get rid of any pests now including mojanos, aiptasia, algaes, and any other nasties. It's easier now than it is later when you have livestock in the tank.

Take you time when aquascaping and keep flow in mind. You'll thank yourself later.

Most importntly...enjoy yourself. You'll never have it perfect the first time, but there is no sense in getting upset trying to make it perfect. Do some, step back and look at it, do some more...it'll look good to you at some point

Here is a good tip. Make sure you can fit your whole hand inbetween the live rock and the glass. Lots of room is good. Not enough room really really sucks. I have a couple of spots that if I just had a inch more room it would be perfect. Live rock drills and cuts easy, if you want a flat bottom on a rock, make one. If you want a cave in a rock. just drill a pattern and then break the cave out. Like a big C made of small dots that are drill holes. Side cutters, a screwdriver, and a hammer will work wonders. You can make a simple frame for you rock stack to get it up off the glass, with 1/2 pvc, some Ts and some 90s. Drill holes in the pipe for water flow thru, and it wont float either. Diving gloves kick butt to protect your hands from evil stinging things. My fingers always swell up and I cant close them for a day or so after handling rock bare handed. Once you think its done curing, give a couple of extra weeks. I have failed to do this in the past, and paid the price. HTH Steve

How did you go about chosing which kind of rock you wanted to use? I've read Carribean is the best, then Red Sea, followed by indo Pacific. Can anybody confirm this?

Back