Any ideas?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

woody283

My guess would be an anemoneof some kind, but i never seen on bud like this. They are very small for comparison it is on a porites skeleton.

Definately Aptasia, and it is a wonderfully engineered destroying machine. Hand crafted by the demons of the deep.

I just found it this morning. i didnt look like aptaisa from the pics ive seen but i will be watchin it closely to see if it moves. Will majano share a base?

Thats wat i was thinking. If you look close at my crummy pic there is another that to the right that shares the base. ill see if i can get a better pic.

I was always under the impression that aptasia can split like their bigger brother (anemone's). If so you may have just caught it in that stage. And as far as something like that goes, it is probably safer to remove, until you have a posotive ID. From what everyone on here has taught me. If you didn't put it in there then it shouldn't be there. It to me has been a safety measure that I did not listen to in the beginning. Now I am battling the retched aptasia.

I would agree with tat2z. Even if it turns out to be Majano, they can be just as 'pesty' as aptasia so by getting a control on it early could save you a great deal trouble later. Let us know how things turn out. Regards.

Well then let me ask this question. What is the skeletol remains in the picture. If you do plan on seeing if it matures into something else maybe you should at least put it in a different tank. That way if it is something that is unfavorable then it will be contained. If it is something that you want then you just acclimate it back to the tank. I have to tell you because I failed to follow instructions before and I am battling those demented destroyers. I can not catch up to them and when I kill one 5 more return to take his spot in the never ending battle.

Its on a 10lb chunk of live rock. Im watching it close. the base looks more like som sort of coral but the minute it splits ill have the kalk paste ready to go. I must have got lucky to get that pik cause i cant get one to come close to even being as good:)

hast makes waste...

and just cause you didnt put it there doesnt give a good reason to kill it.. seems like bad habit 2 me....

might not be anything good but u should wate till its 100% sure

If it would have been a single it would of been gone. If the base splits its a goner. I have seen both pest anemonies and this dont look like them. So i will wait and if they do split to seperate bases then they will be nuked. I will keep a very close eye on them. Personaly i thought rock anemonie because the white tips but when i seen that there were two connected at the base i thought some kind of softie.

Back