Any interest in training Fragman and Myself on a camera for free frags!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Hey everyone. Salsaking and Fragman are looking to buy a good camera and want to be trained on it. I'm willing to spend $2500 for a good camera with a lense. Any suggestions on what to buy? We will trade frags from both of our systems for free if anyone can help us out. Let me know as I want to purchase a camera soon.

Take care fellow reefers.

Eric

I'm not too good with the camera but I would suggest either Nikon or Canon with a good macro lens. I like the Sigma 150mm macro. Great lens and super quiet AF can get great macro shots from a greater distance without freaking the subject out. I have a Canon Rebel XTI and before that I had a Nikon D40. I prefer the Nikon better just becasue it has some onboard editing. lately I've been looking at the Nikon D90 it is capable of shooting 1080p HD videos. Check this body out it is a mid level DSLR or go with the big dog the Nikon D200.

Talk to Blazer and Dang!! Blazer shoots Canon and Dang shoots Nikon. Either brand would be awesome for you. With your budget, you should be able to get into a great system with either. I'm partial to Canon and shoot a Rebel Xt. Just recently purchased a used 100mm Macro and LOVE it. The above mentioned Sigma 150 Macro is just as good and a higher magnification. Also, check out these two forums for great information, reviews and techniques!! The second link is primarily Canon equipment, but very informative!! Another thing to keep in mind when doing research online...for some strange reason, Nikon doesn't refer to "Macro," they call it "Micro." If I lived closer, I'd love to get together with you and give you some tips and suggestions, though I'm not the best photographer in the world...lol. Hit Blazer up to become your Mentor!!! Some of my pics can be seen in a coupla links in my signature.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Last edited:
I was into Costco the other day and was looking at cameras myself. They have a Nikon D60 that comes with an 18-55mm lens and an 55-200 lens plus all of the normal goodies, for $699.00. Does anyone use one of these?

Just purchased the new nikon D200 and two digital macro lenses! Should be great pictures

throught you're already bought D200 and lens,,good choice,,little more money you can get better one D300,,it is a great camera,,view live while you are shooting:) almost like cheating photographer:D:D

Last edited:
Best Buy has the Nikon D200 for $600 (online only), which is an insane price considering it was around $1200-1500 not so long ago.

ReefJunkie, I'd avoid either the D40 or D60. Both of them lack an auto focus motor which somewhat restricts your lens choices (the awesome and cheap 50mm AF 1.8 will not auto focus on a D40 or D60). They both also lack bracketing, which is a nice feature if you ever want to try HDR photography (combining over and under exposed shots with a normal exposure to create awesome photos) If you can tolerate that, the D60 is a great camera otherwise. Personally I'd try to get the body only then pick out the lenses you want. I have a 55-200VR lens that I practically never use. I also don't use my 18-55 lens that much either.

Eric,
I talked to Paul. Next time I come up you and Paul can use my camera for a bit. I do not have a Macro. But I sent some pix to Paul yesterday of a taste of what it can do. The pictures I sent are of your tank. I hope you like them.

Another good place to watch for good camera deals is newegg.com I have a Canon Rebel XTi I love the camera hate the stock lens. A local place that sells new and used stuff is Kenmore Camera here soon I will probably be buying a new lens from them. I thought I also heard something about Ritz/Kits camera filing for bankruptcy so not sure if they gonna be going out of buisness but you might watch them for good deals but Costco always has sweet deals on the higher end SLR cameras.

Back