Any part of the salmon good for fish food?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krisfal

Next week I will be going salmon fishing. I have done some searching here and re-read the fish nutrition post and I see salmon is not the best for fish food. But most of the post were talking about salmon fillets or flesh.

Since I intend to keep the fillets for the BBQ anyway:D, I was wondering if any part of the salmon was good . . eggs or any portion of what I will be cleaning out of the fish I will hopefully be catching?? I make my own blender food so whatever I might keep would only be a portion of the entire mix.

Thanks,

I am not a biologist nor nutritionist.

Nonetheless, I would assume that salmon liver must contain a high concentration of fatty acids.

The salmon roe must also be rich in nutrients that are essential to the growth of the embrios before they hatch. I'm sure no fish would turn away a feeding of fresh salmon eggs.

If you're blending your own foods, then there are some portions of the Salmon worth using. But. . .worth using in a small way.

As emora mentioned, the Salmon eggs would be of use. However, they add a lot of moisture/fat to the blend. So, a little is all you want.

Although internal organs of the wild Salmon may sound like a good choice, these are ways for parasites and disease to find their way into your aquarium. Most are killed off in freezing, but I'm unsure if that is worth the risk. I would blend in a few eyes, along with eggs.

Cod liver oil, saltwater fish vitamins, etc. will usually be enough to supply various minor nutrients in your blend.

If you're up to it, I recommend you post your blend in this thread: Homemade Fish Foods.

Next week we are going up to Sieku (sp). Typically we fish Pt. Defience and the mouth of the Puyallup River.

Thanks for the responces Emora and Lee.

Lee, I will take your suggestions on the useful parts and keep the amount small. I will be freezing the parts I keep as I mixed a batch of food a few weeks ago so it will be awhile before I need to mix a new one.

So is the main problem with using fish/fish parts as food because of the parasite issue. It makes sense that these parasites would be easily tranferrable to the fish in my tank.

My blend of food changes each time I make it. Typically it has a good portion of whole razor clams as we love to go dig clams, so I have these in my freezer (I freeze them whole and thaw them slightly before blending) The freezing process makes the shell easy to remove. I also add blanched broccoli, seaweed and of course vitamins and fats. The rest is whatever I can find whole and fresh at the asian market. In my last batch I also threw in some Formula cubes I had left (I bought a variety bag that froze into one solid clump) Along with my homemade food I feed mysid cubes. I also have auto feeders on my tanks that provide small feedings of formula pellets through the day when I am not home.

Last edited:
There are a few disease pathogens that live in the entire range of 50 to 80F. Marine Ich is just one. Ciliated protozoan are quite able to survive a wide range of temperature ranges. Bacteria can stretch to different temperature ranges, where other species take over and defeat them.

Most pathogens can't handle freezing, so that is always the best thing to do with seafoods used for marine fishes. But some intestinal parasites (of wild fishes) create eggs or cysts that live through frosts. Although the blender should take care of them, there is a small chance for survival.

Frozen fishes in the arctic regions have been found to contain living parasites upon thawing, but I don't have the exact references for that.

What can be worse is the excrement (like in the fish's intestinal track) containing toxins that the blender and freezer won't render harmless. Infected fish organs (especially the liver) may contain pathogens that die, but they leave their toxins -- the chemicals that harm.

Most pathogens can't handle freezing, so that is always the best thing to do with ...marine fishes.

Great info! From now on I will freeze all my new fish before putting them in the display!:p

Seriously, looks like the frozen flesh of arctic fish is safer than their organs. Be that is it may, I have had good luck (so far) with infrequent feedings of salmon, halibut, tuna, etc flesh as a treat. Better variety seems to be a plus.

Thanks for all the advise Lee, you are a real asset here.

Mike

Pt Defiance has been kickin out some good fish. Four more Kings last night and 3 Pinks in 4 1/2 hours. Sorry for going off topic.

Not off topic for me! I haven't been out there this summer yet but I am sure we will (and soon if the fishing is that good)!

Great info! From now on I will freeze all my new fish before putting them in the display!:p

No more QT, just throw them in the freezer for a few days:lol:

Back