Any solution to possible Copper problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ldrhawke

John
About 6 months ago I experienced a Sen 900 submersible tank recirculation pump failure. The internals of the pump failed and windings shorted out. The pump continued to run so I didn't notice it until all the coral started to die and tank temperature increased 15 degrees.

When I figure out what the problem was it was too late. My first thought the short circuited current killed everything. Only a few Tangs and Clowns lived though it. I'm finally getting over being sick about it, getting the energy and courage to rebuild, but it appears I have other problems that I didn't realize from the pump failure. I initially thought it might have been a problem of slight stray voltage or current leaking from other submersible, but I have grounded the tank with a titanium grounding probe now and checked each pump with a meter; and it appears the issue still of not being able to support life exists.

I have purchased several cleaner packages of snails and crabs, only to have them die immediately when placed in the tank after acclimation. I no longer see any pods or any other life macro life on the rocks or tank walls.

I introduced a Flame Angel last week and it appeared to be doing fine and eating well nibbling the live rock. This morning I found it dead.

I have come now to the conclusion the failed pump may have leaked copper into the tank and it has penetrated the live rock.

I started treating the tank with a bag of Seachem Cuprisorb in the filter yesterday and I will keep a bag in the filter to absorb water born copper. It says it can also remove copper from live rock, but I'm not too hopeful. Any other suggestions?

I hate the thought of having to tear the tank apart and replace all the live rock. I'm not going to add any more new life, and certainly not coral, to the tank until I think I have the problem solved. I'm hoping there is a chemical additive that can help address the problem? HELP:doubt:

My Tank before the holocaust :cry:

Do you still have the bad pump. If so bust it open and take a look at the windings. If they are missing and rotted away then I'd be concerned.
Not sure if a over the counter copper test would do any good but may be worth a shot.

Don

No longer have the #$%^& SEN pump. All my other chemical parameters test out fine. I just ordered a copper test kit. The way the shrimp, snails, and crabs go belly up when they hit the water, I think copper is the highest culprit on my list.

Boomer had written about using a copper medical treatment which will put copper in the live rocks back into solution so it can be removed with carbon and/or Cuprisorb. Seeing that I no longer have any invertebrates alive in the tank I thought it might be something to consider.

To make you feel a bit better.

I had a LF company copper my main 300 gallon display tank. I trusted the idiots It killed all my inverts etc. And started a nasty algae bloom.

They put a ton of copper in it, and it was ruined for snails etc for a year.

Cuprasorb does work. I used it for about 6 months and it took the copper down to zero. I can now have inverts again and they don't die.

To save some cash get the cheapest snails you can and use them as a test.
I would add a snail each month and when the snails lived I knew it was ready.

I did test for copper too.

Hermit crabs are tough, some actually survived the copper.

I thought I would have to change out all my sand but I kept it.

I would run the cuprasorb for awhile, the copper can leach out of the sand and rocks slowly. You need to keep absorbing it as it does.

If it is copper your live rock is now DEAD rock.

I would expect you had a huge spike in nitrates, the nutrients from all those dead microbes is huge.

All your live rock can be be seeded again, I don't know how long that will take.

Hard to believe that much copper came from solid pump coils.

Get a test kit, it will show up if it was copper.

Yes run cuprisorb. It really works well but isn't cheap. I had brass gate valves and leaked a little copper in my system from them

Might be a new record, brought a 2008 post back from the depths; Cuprasorb salesman?

LOL, no just trying to help someone that is going through tough times. Unless you have had a display tank destroyed by copper you would not understand the feeling.

Cuprasorb does work. Their may be other products that work too.
Some people say once coppered it is dead for life. Thats what I was told. But I was able to reverse it. So can he.

Back