any success with this fish?????????????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

babyuu

going on my fifth or sixed of these cleaner wrasses usually buy one or two at a time.... longest one i have had lived 3 weeks AND ate prepared foods then mysteriously died...and other ones where missing after the first or second day...

bought 2 today ONE is already missing and the other LOOK good right now and LOOKS LIKE its eating parasites off fish..
anyone no the secret to keeping them?????????

View attachment 18961

Last edited:
The secret is to leave them in the ocean. The cleaner wrasse is a bad fish for the aquarium.

i got a colony of cleaners like 7 or 8....

listen i agree that they should be left on the reef BUT the stores carrys them..

they going to die anyway...

just wondering if it needs something symbolic in the tank besides fish to eat parasites off for a better success rate..

The longest i had a cleaner wrasse was for four months,they dont survive in captivaty well and yes they will eat the parasites,but not ick some will knock off
black spot on tangs and worms on fish that i've seen.But as for its life span its short three weeks at the most.I call them the throw away fish,sorry:shock:

It seems you've gotten all the advice you should need. I just thought I'd say it more politically correct, since I'm practicing that nowadays. :)

The cleaner wrasse has a notoriously low survival rate in captivity. This fish is among the list of fishes that we, as hobbyists, should steer away from in hopes that collectors will stop collecting (and thereby killing) this fish.

african cleaner wrasse

Ive had a african cleaner wrasse in my tank for over a year,and has ate a food made by a frend of mine,he wont share his resapie butt its green and he says it was made from a study on gut contentof reef fish and is made of what reef fish would eat on any given day.All my fish love it.This study found thatt even though different fish[predatory,vegatarian,or boh they all end up with the same thing in tthe end,meaning the end product.Meat eating fish get algae by eating fish with algae in their stomache,and algae eatting fish get protein[fat]from amphapods also grazeing on the algae,and so on and so on.Long story short as long as u can get them to eat prepared foods,than you should have no problem,just add some sort of vitamin supplemt to the food itt will eat.I think your next purchace should be a quaranteen tank and nott another cleaner

Can i just say that i have had 2 cleaner wrasse for the past two years and they love the tank they hide at night in little holes in the rock work and come out in the morning they are eating fine and they clean the fish as well i had found out by this site that i had a floating clear sack every morning which i now know that the wrasse produce when they hide to cover there scent at night from preditors. so i think they are cool just my 2 cent worth.:)

To my experiences, cleaner wrasses live a short time due too not enough foods for and as well, you not want to house more then one for depending on your tank, you can manage a cleaner for a good amount of time and not just a few weeks. Also if you not need one, then just don't buy one for your tank for the same thing with housing these cleaners with eels, in a home aquarium it is not required as if out in the wild. So perhaps if your no success with the wrasse cleaner, then perhaps move over too the cleaner shrimp, they survive far better. Myself when I had a cleaner wrasse, survived a number of months.

we have had ours for over a year. it eats regular food and looks very healthy. however i should add that if i would have read about their survival rate i would have never of bought him

One can never take it that just because due to others misfortune in not able to keep the cleaner wrasse for long that it not means that no one can. So one can never base what success they would have from someones elses not so successful attempts to keep this fish.

listen i agree that they should be left on the reef BUT the stores carrys them..

they going to die anyway...

just wondering if it needs something symbolic in the tank besides fish to eat parasites off for a better success rate..

Just a thought...The fact that the LFS carries them and you keep purchasing them, will only cause them to keep them in stock. In most cases, they don't care if the fish dies in your care. All they care about is making that extra buck by selling it to you. I think if a person feels a particular fish should be left on a reef due to their survival rate in captivity being low, then they should not purchase them from the LFS anymore which will in turn force the LFS to resort to not stocking them anymore seeing no-one will buy them. Just my 2 cents...:)

krish75, in all reality, the lfs for the most of them only care about making money no matter even that the fish will be doomed and yes, the lfs wouldn't get them in if they not sell any, but the difficult thing about that is, with all the different hobbyists they will always sell them. The last time I used one was about nine to ten years ago. For like there be many who buy the very same fish a number of times in a year time frame, as they know about this and yet will sell to get the live stock out of their stores.

Buddy

Hold up wait a minute time out! No its not the money thats a $6.99 fish that is no money to me.But we sale those to render help for those who need them its a hit or not depends on the fish.I can say when i buy new stock and put them in my holding tanks hey the cleaner wasse is a great help for my stock they clean the fish fast without chem's in the tanks.

WOW what a thread

First off to Ecobalance

Your friend sounds like a swell guy. We all need friends like that........NOT

What about neon gobys
red headed gobys
yellow corris wrasses

All are capable of cleaning.

In my vast experience I have been unable to keep a cleaner wrasse. And I have had many that would eat shrimp and some that would even eat flake.

Do LFSs sell cleaner wrasses to make money, well I would hope so.

And for all the people that think the cleaner wrasse belongs in the ocean think about this.

If you bought a high dollar tang or angel in the hundreds or thousands of dollars and it came down with ick, would you not buy 1, 2, 3, or 10 cleaner wrasses in an attempt to rid your fish of ick?

Now where do you draw the line on the cost of the fish and the usage of a cleaner wrasse? Does a $150 hippo tang warrant a cleaner if the tang had ick? What about a $100 purple tang?

Just something to think about.

WOW what a thread

And for all the people that think the cleaner wrasse belongs in the ocean think about this.

If you bought a high dollar tang or angel in the hundreds or thousands of dollars and it came down with ick, would you not buy 1, 2, 3, or 10 cleaner wrasses in an attempt to rid your fish of ick?

Now where do you draw the line on the cost of the fish and the usage of a cleaner wrasse? Does a $150 hippo tang warrant a cleaner if the tang had ick? What about a $100 purple tang?

Just something to think about.[/QUOTE]

Yep you said it all and i agree:cool:

Back