Any suggestion would like a quiet internal pump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Setup

a mystery i be
I have mag 7 thats my return for my 54! Ive been updating my equipment for the last few months and now is the time for a new internal pump! Anybody any suggestions? I hear eheim is quiet? Is there any other pumps out there with good remarks as far as quietness?

Actually, I've used Mag pumps for my returns for a long time. The trick to making them quiet is to have a little bit of back pressure. I run two 9.5's, and with just the slightest restriction theiy're silent.

Dont get me wrong i like mags nonetheless. Do you think i should put something underneath it or around it cuz i thing most of the sound & vibrations are making it loud cuz its hittin the acrylic in the sump! I also have a pondmaster 1200 in the sump in my other tank and it hits the acyrlic and its much louder! I'm jus lookin for a way to tone the sound down and save money then spending for new pumps.

eheims and quiet one pumps have been close to silent for me. I too am not a big fan of the noise on the mag/pondmaster pumps. They work good, but if they require back pressure then there is a design flaw.

I have an ocean runner 2500 on my 75g which is almost equal to the mag 7 in gph. I can't hear it even when my head is in the stand and it's $55 at bulkreefsupply.com which is cheaper then the mag 7.

For internal I like the Korilia, by Hydor. Moves a lot of water and they have several different sizes for your needs....
Vince

I used to have an eheim compact 1000. it is an awesome pump. I used it as a return pump from my fuge. it was silent or near silent and didn't have a problem with the 4' head or so...

eheim is looking on the brighter side for me I figured that but wanted opinions! I have 3 mags mag 7, mag 5 , and mag 12. I'm completly magged out it wasnt in my interest but it just happened that way but im noticing the sound is starting to P*** me off! It looks like im gonna need to post these guys for sale or trade for eheims! I also updated my koralias for maxi jet 1200's with the mods a set of them! I like them alot but i think i didnt read up on them as good cuz obvously i need the magnet for them cuz there LOUD and serously overkill in my mixed reef 54g! I'm thinking about selling the mj 1200's with kits and getting another k 3. I had 2 k 3 but one broke maybe i should get another and that will do it for me. Any suggestions on what pump size i should get for eheims? I'm looking in the 700gph range for the 54g, 1200gph for the 41g, and somewhere around 700gph for my aqua c urchin?

I know this is pretty cheap of me but i looked up the magnets for the maxi jets and there like somewhere around 30 bucks for one! I thought about using the magnets from my koralias and rigging them onto the maxi jet mods? Has anyone done that?

Back