any thoughts on my new tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wnorman

i just bought a used 85g 36x18x30 tenecor deluxe system. it has the filtration built in the back wall of the tank. i already have a sump set up on my existing tank and i dont really want to part with it.
so heres my plan and i was looking for input from others that know a bit more than me. i am going to modify the back wall, starting with isolating the overflow box and drilling a 2 holes on the bottom for the drain and return. and by doing this it should keep water out of the rest of the wall and i was going to use this space to build a closed loop using 3/4 or 1" pvc. i was thinking about 2 inputs and 4 outputs however this will be tricky considering theres not much space to work or to drill.
ive attatched the before picture, I'm in the process of cleaning it now and was hoping for feedback before i mess things up

Welcome to RF!!! Hope you enjoy it here:)

As for your idea...It looks and sounds pretty "do-able " to me. Your biggest problem does look like it will be space, but I think with a little thought, it shouldn't be too bad. Good luck!:)

Definatley Do-able, Just research Placement of holes thuroughly. To high and no effect or cavitation, to low and missing fish or sand storms. make sure you research before doing a thing.

thanks for the welcome!

what would be an ideal closed loop spacing on a 36"x30" tank?

tenecor

I have a freshwater 50 Tenecor. Love the tank, except as you say, the back is narrow. My female betas escape into the back through the slots when the male nips at them.

Enjoy your new tank. I just set up my first salt: 12DX nanocube with live sand/rock and 6 weeks to go before I add anything else. I'd love to see the tank when it's set up.

Back