Anybody use the Giesemann 14.5 coral DE 250W bulbs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cwegescheide

So I heard good things about them but curious if any of you have been using them and what if any diff you noticed when you switched. What bulbs did you have before?

I have 14K Pheonix bulbs about 3mos old now and switched from 10K Ushio's and my color is returning back to where I prefer. I ran the 10K's for about 6mos or so. Now I'm considering trying the Giesemann.

Thanks,
Chris

My Giesemann fixture came with their 13K bulbs, I was very impressed with them, color was great, my corals loved them, I imagine the 14.5 K's would be similar...

Yeah I have the Giesemann Eco fixture. Came with the 13K bulbs as well. I thought they were too bright white light and opted for the 14K Pheonix bulbs for a while.

Then for kicks I decided to give the 10K ushio's a try since I sold the 13K Giesemanns. I stuck it out for about 5mos or so but pretty much everything looked like crap under them.

I've got some 14.5 K Coral Megachromes in the box that I havent put on my tank yet since I recently switched back to the Pheonix.

I was just curious who is running the 14.5K Giesemann and what they thought about them.

Thanks for the response though.

Chris

FWIW My phoenix 14K 250s on Icecap ballasts were basically shot after six months. Ive just retired my second set. All of my torts and a few milles started to slowly get sick after the six month mark. They are recovering now under 10Ks.

I am using the 14.5K G-mann bulbs. They have burned in to a nice white color with a hint of blue. This is running them on ICE ballasts.

I am using the 14.5K G-mann bulbs. They have burned in to a nice white color with a hint of blue. This is running them on ICE ballasts.

What bulbs were you using before the 14.5? What differences if any did you notice? How long have you been running them?

I've been using the 14.5k (250w de) bulbs since about Jan. Previously used Phoenix 14ks. I run them w/o any supplemental lighting. Both the phoenix and g-mann bulbs burn very white IMO. Because I don't use any supps I am going to move on to 20k bulbs next, as I'm looking for a little more blue. Just ordered some XM 20ks that I am anxious to give a try.

The only thing I'm not too happy about the g-mann bulbs is the price. Spendy and I'm not sure you get any extra value from the premium price.

hth,
rob

I've been using the 14.5k (250w de) bulbs since about Jan. Previously used Phoenix 14ks. I run them w/o any supplemental lighting. Both the phoenix and g-mann bulbs burn very white IMO. Because I don't use any supps I am going to move on to 20k bulbs next, as I'm looking for a little more blue. Just ordered some XM 20ks that I am anxious to give a try.

The only thing I'm not too happy about the g-mann bulbs is the price. Spendy and I'm not sure you get any extra value from the premium price.

hth,
rob

Hey Rob,

Did you notice any difference in coral coloration or adverse affects when you switched from Pheonix to the 14.5K giesemann? Did color improve or stay about the same? What did you notice when you switched? Anything at all? If the bulbs were the same price which ones would you choose if you had to run 14K? :)

Yeah, when I 1st installed them, I remember thinking that the coral colors seemed better than the phoenix. But, kind of unfair since the phoenix bulbs were about 8 months old vs brand new (and I probably really wanted to believe they were better after laying down $200+). Didn't really notice anything adverse. They were definitely brighter (chalk that up to age I think), and a little more white/blue, although not enough blue for me.

If they were the same price, I would go with the giesemann bulbs again. Although in reality they are almost double in price.

I am a little interested to try the 22k bulbs, but decided to go w/XMs this time, pretty much basd on price as well.

hth,
rob

Hey Thanks for the Info Rob. I ran 20K's and all my greens and blues were sick but growth was a little on the slow side.

Back