Anyone ever keep there chiller in there stand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Randy-S

Bugman
I know it will cause heat and make the chiller work harder.
But my last house and tank i had my chiller plumb into my crawlspace and thats not an option this time, and i dont want it sitting out in the open soooo.

What if its in the stand, the stand has a lot of ventalation holes in it. i add a fan or two to force outside air into the stand to help vent. I am thinking it should work?
The tank is 48x36x28 and the stand is 40tx 48x36 there will be 2x 400 mh and 4x 54 watt t-5 over the tank or i may go 2x 110watt vho instead of the t5's still undecided. My house has ac and will not get above 75 so i dont think the tank is going to run to hot anyway but looking for your thoughts.

Randy

Wow, those tank dimensions are marvelous. Gotta love all of that room to work with.

You have a nice tall stand, and you could probably make this work out okay if you keep air flowing through your stand as you suggested. What other equipment will be housed inside your stand?

Gary

Randy, I'm currently in the process of setting up the same tank!! Gotta love the 200 Deep Dimension. As far as keeping a chiller in the stand, I know that the chiller unit itself gets rather warm, in the process of cooling. The only way I'd be comfortable having it inside the stand is if there were a way to vent that heat. I'd think this would kind of defeat the purpose.

The only way I'd be comfortable having it inside the stand is if there were a way to vent that heat. I'd think this would kind of defeat the purpose.

I think I can do this by having fans blow in outside air to vent the stand. The house temp never gets above 75 - 70 if I am home. Keeping that cooler air blown in should keep things from over heating.

I am liking the size of the tank and thats its glass my last tank was 72x36wx30d.
Do you have a build thread going on your tank?

If you're going to vent the stand, I'd have 2 4" pc fans pulling in air from the room on one end of the stand and 2 4" pc fans pulling air out of the stand on the other end.

I wouldnt do it unless I could cut a hole in the wall and butt the back of the chiller to it. IN that case, you might as well put two small holes in the wall and put the chiller outside.

I wouldnt put it in the stand unless I could do the first. Refrigerators don't work too well when the motor is overheated. It will most likely immediately void your warranty too.

i would have to go with trido on this one that chiller is going to put out some good amount of heat and putting it outside is an awesome idea, cancelling heat and noise

yeah I agree putting outside is a great ideal. My last tank it was plumb into my crawlspace theat was the best ideal.
But as I stated in my post not an option.

Do something like I posted and you'll get plenty of air moving through the stand. Don't just try sucking in air from the room, you have to do both to get good flow.

We are putting our chiller in the stand, but we have a fan under the stand already . window be hide the stand and tonight we are going to put the ac in the window. that should help.

Never put a chiller in a stand with a sump or skimmer. The salty air is going to destroy it.
If you must put a chiller in your stand build a partition wall for the chiller section. You will also need much more flow than PC fans. IMO your better off building or having built a cabinet to match your stand to sit next to the tank. The cabinet will need free flowing sides such as a cloth grill.

Don

Don is absolutely right. Best no not even have the chiller right up against an inside corner of the room. If possible, have it outside in a little roofed shelter. Putting fans on the sump and across the top of the water will perform an amazing amount of cooling

Back