Anyone ever put a drain on their tank for water changes?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I'm plumbing a new 125 tank and considering adding a bulkead about halfway down for water changes. Would have threads inside to screw on a gravel siphon and hose or a cap for safety. On the outside would be a valve and threads to run a hose to a drain.

I hate the whole siphon thing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Why not add valve or hose spicket into the drain side of the plumbing?? You could hook a hose to it and drain it anywhere you want. Sounds like you where talking about putting the bulkhead through the tank.

I have a siphon type gravel vacuum I use to clean the gravel and do water changes. It would have a short hose that would screw on to a 90 on the inside of the bulkhead

I thought about that, but it would not allow me to suck off the junk on the bottom.

I think its a fine idea. I never use a siphon hose to suck detritous. Instead I storm the rock and sand bed with a turkey baster using a filter sock on the overflow followed by my WC. IME using a siphon hose is a great way to siphon fine sugar grade sand right out of the tank with the detritous.

Back