Anyone have any experience with Bubble Max skimmers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

I stopped at a LFS today and they were pushing Bubble Max skimmers made by a guy in Oregon. I haven't seen anything on here about them yet. Anyone have any input good or bad about them?

No pics. Maybe I misunderstood the name. I can't find anything about them online either. The shop owner showed them operating on his setups and they looked like they made quite the foam. He swore by them. They have one model for up to 90 gal that was $199 and one for 90 gal and up for $299, pumps included.

Nope. these were all clear with black caps and parts. It was at Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood. Seemed like a good store with good options for something down here in the south end. Nothing compared to BRS but still pretty good. Their website doesn't show anything about them either.

OK I had the name wrong. Its BubbleMax, all one word. I found a long thread on here from about a year ago with mixed feelings about this skimmer. Is it still considered pretty crappy? Has anyone had anything good to report. It's sounding like there are better units out there for less money (SkimerWhisperer) but that was a year ago. I'm looking at something else this weekend that was listed CL anyway so this is more just out of curiosity about this now.

Anyone have any input on the "Real Sea Water" that AP sells? Supposedly not mixed but real purified sea water. "The same as the Seattle Aquarium uses." $1.00/gal

OK I had the name wrong. Its BubbleMax, all one word. I found a long thread on here from about a year ago with mixed feelings about this skimmer. Is it still considered pretty crappy? Has anyone had anything good to report. It's sounding like there are better units out there for less money (SkimerWhisperer) but that was a year ago. I'm looking at something else this weekend that was listed CL anyway so this is more just out of curiosity about this now.

Anyone have any input on the "Real Sea Water" that AP sells? Supposedly not mixed but real purified sea water. "The same as the Seattle Aquarium uses." $1.00/gal

i have been using it for over 10 years now and love it.

I have a bubble max that i got from another member on the form its the 250 version and it works really well skims all the crap out of my 76 half round of course it only has a small bio load on it right now.

I'd stick with known brand skimmers. ATI, Reef octopus, SWC, and others are all great affordable choices. Have you seen his (ap's) skimmers in action? I have in his store and they aren't skimming much at all! As far as Natural sea water I get mine at the Seattle Aquarium. It's only 5 cents a gallon. You do need to supplement it with a little more salt to raise it's sg.

Back