Anyone have experience with no-copper Ich treatement?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

After the feedback from this thread and some other good ones I have come up with a plan to hopefully prevent or reduce the chance of parasites and especially Ich into my main tank. Seems like non-copper treatment is not a foolproof option yet.

Two fish survived the original Ich outbreak, a Solar Fairy Wrasse and Flame Hawkfish. LFS said these two are less susceptible to Ich than most fish. They were left in the QT with copper treatment for 4-5 weeks or so while the main tank was left without any fish to hopefully starve any Ich parasites there. I have inverts in the main tank so copper treatment there was not an option there.

I then started started introducing fish back into the tank one at time after being in the QT for about 4 weeks. After careful observation of each fish for about 4 weeks I only treated with copper if they showed any signs of Ich or scratching on surfaces, etc. New fish are yellow headed jawfish, yellow tang, powder blue tang, potters angle and orange spot sleeper goby. The only fish that required copper treatment was the powder blue tang after observing scratching on surfaces. No surprise there since powder blues are quite susceptible to Ich. He also seemed undernourished and looked rather bony when I got him from the LFS so the QT also gave me a chance to fatten him up and reduce stress, etc. Last new fish went in about 3 weeks ago and so far no problems (fingers crossed). I prefer to try not to treat with copper unless absolutely necessary to give the fish the best chance of survival without the toxic effects of copper if possible. Only time will tell if this is wise.

When I transfer the fish from the QT to the main tank I do the normal acclimation. Drip water from main tank into the transfer bag, float bag in the MT to get temp the same, etc. The final step is to dump the fish into a net and then into the tank with no water from the QT to prevent any copper and hopefully any Ich or other parasites from getting into the main tank.

I'm sure most of the above has already been stated in other threads/blogs many times but just wanted to mention what steps seem to be working for me.

For the sake of clarity to those following the thread, treating fish that only exhibit signs of Marine Ich is not the procedure to use. The human can only detect one single stage in the multi-stage life cycle of this parasite. All fish, whether they exhibit/display or not must be streated.

The correct process to follow and the ones that work 100% of the time are given here: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/curing-fish-marine-ich-50933/

Before you alter the hobby standard on treatment, you may wish to learn more about this parasite: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/marine-ich-myths-facts-27003/

You say mix garlic with the frozen food. I don't want to sound foolish,but is this done just while thawing or do you put it in the tank with the brine shimp. Little confused

wait til the food is thawed, then add 1-2 drops of garlic on the food, and then wait 10 mins to let it soak it.

leebca

I get your point about always treating with copper. Hopefully I haven't inadvertently re-introduced Ich back into my main tank. I will treat all future new fish with copper in the QT first. Keeping a close eye for any problems but all is well so far.

Think the point Lee was making is if you observe fish in the display with signs of Ich, only treating those particular fish will not remove the parasite from the display.
When you re-introduce the "treated" fish back into the infected display, they will be at risk again and will most likely soon be observed with the same symptoms.

Keep it out of the display tank and if it gets inside there, either treat the tank or allow it to be fallow a couple months, or be prepared to allow it to run it's course over a year or so within the dispalay.

Back