Anyone heard of a black ocellaris and a standard ocellaris pairing up?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

runtowin777

i have a black ocellaris and a standard ocellaris paired up in my tank. i have heard many horror stories of these fish fighting but in my tank they are best friends and dont leave eachothers side. they even have the size differential trait that a pair would usually have.

I have a black and a standard perc. They have been together for a good 5-6 years. I even gave it to a friend and they had them for about a year and now are back with me but either myself or my friend has seen them lay any eggs. Although they do thier little dance all the time.

Can I put in a black and an orange and have a good chance of them mating, as if I put in 2 occillaris or perculas?

I want to add a pair of clowns to my tank, maybe in 5 or 6 months or so. Would be awesome if I could do 1 black 1 orange. Never heard about this

rob

If you get both of them as juveniles, there's a good chance of them pairing off, as long as they're the same species. I doubt if any of the mutant disfigurations ORA has thrust upon the world will cause any challenge in creating pairs, so long as they're the same species.

I got my perculas both as juveniles almost 5 years ago. They never fought and immediately bonded. Within months one of them started growing much bigger than the other. They've never laid eggs yet to my knowledge, but they're clearly a pair. They sleep in the same coral every night and have done so for years. I've seen them cleaning up their area at night (mouthing nearby rocks and sides of their toadstool home), like they do when preparing to lay eggs, but no eggs have come yet.

twallace i never said they were opposites in species but they are definitely opposites in color. thats what i was referring to.

As long as their both Occellaris, they'll be just as likely to pair up as 2 of the same color.

This is the main factor, though a perc and occ quite often get along when combined as juveniles. They won't mate as separate species but they have a good chance of bonding, due the social nature of clowns. My perc even bonded with my 6-line, they'd hang out all day then sleep right next to each other every night. Only time i saw them apart is when they both died.

fun579.jpg

Back