Anyone help me identify this critter?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK, now that it has been ID'd as an Aiptasia I am afraid you will have to poke it . . .with a syringe full of Joe's Juice or Kalk Paste!

In all actuality as long as it doesn't get bigger or spread...I'll think we'll leave it just the way it is...doesn't do anything but give character lol. Thanks for the info to all that participated.

You will give that tank a whole lot of character in a few months when it starts splitting. That would'nt be good.

TJ,

Let me know if you need any SUPER RARE AIPTASIA EATING SEA SPIDERS. I'll even give you a special discount is you're an ol' friend. Even If they are SUPER RARE:lol:

If your aiptasia gets lonely and needs a companion, you know I have plenty more for you. You better hurry before I get my Berghia Nudibranchs though:D

Be careful there wayne...would hate to let it out that your BREEDING aiptasia, SUPER RARRRRRRRE Aiptasia eating sea spiders and by the sounds of it Berghia Nudibranchs. If I didn't know any better it would sound like an evolutionary food chain your trying to establish...not trying to play god are you? :)

HMMMM....evolutionary and god in the same sentence...now there is a coincidence. lol

Well, that is an anemone, as in Aiptasia. We kill those things :lol:

I don't doubt that its an anemone now...but it doesn't seem to be to intrusive like some other species of aiptasia I have seen. For instance, MY BUDDY Wayne, has aiptasia popping up weekly in different places. This guy is the only guy that I have been able to find. Nothing else similar is popping up or overwhelming the tank. I'll keep him for the moment until his character starts to split then treat as appropriate...such as smuggling him into Wayne's tank after all that is what friends are for :evil:

looks like an atlantic curly cue anemone. they don't spread. i,ve had one for 2 years

Ah, I knew you'd find something closer. That Edwardsi sp. is the closest I've seen... but who knows? Anemones are so hard to ID. Hey... maybe you should ask Ron. ;) J/k!!

Hey cool! Possibly a small anemone species that does not quickly turn into a plague? That would be neat. I really like the majano anemones they are cool looking, so instead of wiping them out I tend to do what I call "controlled genocide" killing all of the ones close to corals and most of the others leaving 1 or 2 babies. Since the population recovers slowly from this I only have had to do this once in the last year. Apstasia on the other hand I wipe out completely.

Back