Anyone know how to get rid of this stuff?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What I used to do for situations like this was to cut out a small peice of a black plastic, like from a thick garbage bag and about the same size as the infected area. Then put that over the thing, tucking it in where I could and the a couple peices of rubble to hold it down. This way you block light and water flow and thus any food source.

It also works well on teenagers, but you need to use duck tape!! lol

mojo

What I used to do for situations like this was to cut out a small peice of a black plastic, like from a thick garbage bag and about the same size as the infected area. Then put that over the thing, tucking it in where I could and the a couple peices of rubble to hold it down. This way you block light and water flow and thus any food source.
mojo

Brilliant!

Great to come across this thread. That exact stuff covers about 1/3 of my tank. It doesn't appear aggessive at all, i have zoo's right in the middle of the that suff.

I looked it up. They do have zooanthallae. A symbiotic algae that most corals have.

sym·bi·o·sis
the living together of two dissimilar organisms, as in mutualism, commensalism, amensalism, or parasitism.

The algae needs the cloves to live, the cloves need the algae to live.

If you glue something over the rock (such as half of a large clam shell) by using a bit of frag glue in a couple spots, no more light will get to the corals, algae will die, cloves will die. No light = no clove coral

Depending on how many you have growing and what cleanup crew you have, this may or may not be a good idea. You can do it a small piece at a time, let the cloves die without light, move the shell to a new location, etc.

Kind of like putting a big sun umbrella over them until they die of no light, then moving it to a new spot. rinse and repeat

i have these little cute buggers too...they are everywhere in my wife's tank now at first we just have it in the sandbed which we thought it will just grow there but they kind of multiply by spawning...once in a while they shrink up and little round white things are covering it which i assume that its in the process of spawning...next thing we knew we have it in the wall,in the rocks..in some of the frags and corals.....we regret buying a frag...now that we know its very invasive we always try to warn anyone who acquires corals/frags that has a few of it from us....but some people likes them..:)

4-5 months ago we got a rock with some really cool (we thought at the time) Purple Clove Polyps. They have since multiplied and are taking over everything including the face of the overflow and LR. Is there any way to get rid of this stuff or are we stuck with it until we switch over to the new tank?

Here is an example of what it looks like in case I have ID'ed it incorrectly.

DSC_0082_10834.jpg

my wife set up her new tank now and she started over,all new rocks...and she is now just getting corals one by one from the other tank that doesnt have any blue cloves...u can maybe just dont put the rocks that are infested with it and just choose the rocks that has nothing with it...my wife is very very careful transferring corals....whenever she sees the blue cloves she said her eyes hurts:D

I have some that are mint green, very small about 2-3mm across. Are they the same, mine are not blue and they don't seem to be taking over. they've been in there pretty much from the start. lots of bigger things growing around them, some weird bubble type algea, mushrooms and such.
i have something like that also, are they "blue"? the ones i have are like, mint green.

Yea, garbage bag does the same thing as the clam shell method I was describing. Clam shell looks a bit more natural than the black plastic does when in the tank, but pretty much the same concept.

Thanks all for the help translating my words :) I'll try to work on my communication skillz

Back