Anyone purchase this R/O unit???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I purchased the same system a few months back. The product seems to work perfectly i've made up about 250 gallons so far. (TDS is still 0) Customer service was great and shipping was quick. I was able to get mine on a traditional auction (without the high starting bid) for $48.50 plus the $27.50 S/H cost. Great unit I'd buy from them agian without hesitation.

I have heard that the 100 gallon membanes for the RO are not as good as the 75 gallon membranes. The pecentage of particulate removal is slightly lower with the 100gpd unit. I would check into that, and get the 75gpd unit unless your system demands a 100gpd unit.

I bought a 100gpd unit, and when it's time to change filters/ membrane I am just going to get a 75 gpd unit.

Wow that was quick on the answers guys! I thought everyone would be at work about now. Hmmmmmmm... will look into the 75 from the same folks and see what they offer.But i sure like:) that price Andy got!! thanks for the help!

it depends on your incoming TDS whether you want the 100 gpd or the 75 gpd. If you have low TDS in your area you can get away with the 100 gpd membrane. The 100 gpd membrane has roughly a 90% rejection rate and the 75 gpd membrane has a 98 - 99% rejection rate. So if you have low TDS in the first place it doesn't matter what membrane you go with. If you have a high TDS then you'd want to go with the higher rejection rate and that would save you on DI cartridges. The TDS in Seattle is 35 to 38. I'm using the AquaSafe 100 gpd RO unit and the TDS coming out of the membrane is 0.

I am very happy with my AquaSafe unit. Ed was great in answering any questions I had and since they ship in WA state I got my unit next day.

Hope this information is helpful...
Matt

I have the 100 and so far my water is still at .001 or .000. (three months and about 350 gallons later) It takes about an hour to fill the 3ish Gallon reserve container - I'm happy with it! :) It does leak when you first set it up so you need to be carefull and watch all the connectors.

I bought that same unit just under 2 years ago and havent had to replace the filters yet. Ive made who knows how much water with it (2000 gal?) and it still reads 0 tds coming out. Of course it only reads 16-20 going in. Its a great system and a great seller.

I also have the 100 gpd version. I have had is since January 05 and have made at least 1000 gallons. TDS is still 0. Great unit, Ed is very nice.

Jay

Everyone is right about the average rejection rates of the membranes (90% for the 100gpd, 98-99% for the 75gpd); but there's more to the story than just TDS. Membranes will basically block anything that's much larger than a water molecule; but anything that's smaller, the same size, or slightly larger than the H2O molecule will easily pass through the membrane. This happens more readily when using the 100gpd unit. TDS is supposed to be a measurement of Total Dissolved Solids, but it's often just a crude way of estimating how pure our water is. A true testing of TDS involves filtering out any suspended matter in the water, then evaporating the water, and what's left in the bottom are the total dissolved solids. Since that isn't exactly easy to test for we rely on another method, which is conductivity. Since suspended particles can't transfer electricity, but dissolved particles can, a simple test of conductivity tells us how many dissolved salts are present in the water. The problem with this test though is that it isn't complete. Not all undesirable compounds will conduct electricity, which means even our RO water that tests zero TDS can still contain compounds that can harm our livestock. RO membranes will "on average" remove the percentage given above. In reality the percentages are different for each compound. For example, copper is almost completely removed; but sodium is only mostly removed, and ammonia isn't removed hardly at all. For these reasons I highly recommend a high-rejection-rate membrane; and I also recommend you use a DI cartridge to mop up whatever gets past the membrane. Don't be fooled by TDS monitors, RO-only water is not completely pure.

Clayton

thanks clayswim ........i think that straight r/o water will do for my purposes. I have been using straight tap for the last two years with no live stock death (except for when the heater tube cracked and zapped a few of the corals). I just wanted to start keeping some of the more difficult acroporas and wanted to make sure i was reducing some of the nutrients i am currently introducing.

mattseattle said:
it depends on your incoming TDS whether you want the 100 gpd or the 75 gpd. If you have low TDS in your area you can get away with the 100 gpd membrane. The 100 gpd membrane has roughly a 90% rejection rate and the 75 gpd membrane has a 98 - 99% rejection rate. So if you have low TDS in the first place it doesn't matter what membrane you go with. If you have a high TDS then you'd want to go with the higher rejection rate and that would save you on DI cartridges. The TDS in Seattle is 35 to 38. I'm using the AquaSafe 100 gpd RO unit and the TDS coming out of the membrane is 0.

I am very happy with my AquaSafe unit. Ed was great in answering any questions I had and since they ship in WA state I got my unit next day.

Hope this information is helpful...
Matt
Can you give us a website for that?

Anne

Back