Anyone use 20k Ushio's?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Clownguy

It is that time of the year again and I have just added a third 250W MH so I can get a 20K bulb back in for some better coloration. I saw that Ushio now has a 20K and was wondering if anyone has used it and how it compares to the 20K radium. Let me know your experiences. Thanks.

Chris

I can't compare the Ushio to the Radium, but my neighbor has been running the Ushio 20K for almost a year. He had 14K before that and is going to drop back down to 14K when he gets new bulbs. He seems to think his SPS growth rate has slowed, and I agree. They are very blue and not really intense, but that's what I would have expected.

Thanks for the info, I currently run 2 14K hami's, but since I am going back to one 20k I can't decide if I want to try ushio 10k's or sztay with the 14K's. I wonder if the blue of the ushios is as blue as the radiums.

Chris

did they start making ushio 20k's now? last I heard it was 175 and 400 watt only. nobody at the time new anything about them making 250's. that has been at least 6 months since I checked on them though. anyone actually seen the 250's?

250 watt 20K & Par value.

Hi Chris I just wanted to pass on to you that I am a big 20K fan and I have been using 20K lights in 150 gallon tank for almost 2 years I Have used Radium's and used XM bulb's I don't plan on reusing XM's again I was planning on spending the $ for Radium's.
Please pass on If you do go with the Ushio 20K
Do you by any chance know the Par value of a 20K Ushio? I have seen but I can't seem to find the thread that was posted a few days back but I did remember a 20K Radium had a Par of 386 and a XM had a Par of 318 and I do believe these were with HQI ballast? Best of luck and i hope you find your awnsers...Jeff

Clownguy said:
It is that time of the year again and I have just added a third 250W MH so I can get a 20K bulb back in for some better coloration. I saw that Ushio now has a 20K and was wondering if anyone has used it and how it compares to the 20K radium. Let me know your experiences. Thanks.

Chris

Back