Anyone used ASM G-3 externally?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

charlyclown

Guys, I bought a new skimmer, the ASM G-3. Nice product I must say. Contrary to its catalog description, it’s 23’’ tall and not 25’’. However, the body diameter seems to be now 7’’ instead of the 6.5’’ advertised. If you calculate it out, it has a little more volume than advertised.
Anyways, I would like to use this
skimmer for different skimmer experiments and was wondering if anyone uses/used this guy externally. According to the pump manual, the Sendra 5000 can be used in-line.

karl

wELL i cant help you with the external question, you can goto www.ASMSKIMMER.com and ask them, they always answer my questions, but i can tell you that they modified/changed the design of the G3 a while back that is why the dimensions are differant, i must say lucky you for gettin such a great skimmer i love mine and everyone who has one loves it too!

I have zip with it external. I know you would have to seal it. Its not a water tight chamber. You could just make a acrylic box with two bulkheads that would be easy to move and install inline and just let it set in it.

I went to asmskimmer.com and they say that

"Right now I would not run an ASM skimmer external. They have a tendancy to leak at the joints. There is an o-ring in there, but they still leak." (http://www.asmskimmer.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67)
Yeah, sealing can be tedious work. I placed it in hot water as suggested for initial cleaning, and it does leak. I will probably just grab a rubbermaid and cut it to the right size.

Back