Anyone using wild caught live plankton ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

captstinky

I live in west central Florida & I am able to collect my own live plankton. I am adding it to the tank as additional food for mushrooms, gorgonians, and a bubble coral. After the tank is fully established I hope to add a Mandarin Goby. I was recently cautioned by a local science teacher (after making several additions of plankton to my reef tank) against using local plankton as I might introduce 'bad critters.' My questions after reading many posts:

If I catch plankton, freeze it, then feed it to the tank, should it retain nutritional value?

Will freezing plankton from the Gulf of Mexico kill it and render it 'harmless' to the tank?

It seems the main concerns were parasites and arrow worms...

Thank you for any feedback or experiences you are able to share

I would also be concerned about introducing bad critters to your tank. There are a couple options though. What about culturing them in a way that would also QT them, which would, hopefully and eventually give you a yield of pure plankton. Next, are you talking phyto-plankton or zoo-plankton? I'd also be a little concerned if you aren't able to identify the species of plankton. I'd want to know what I'm feeding my tank. It could be that it's not even a species that your corals will eat.

Buying plankton from online sources is actually very inexpensive and much safer, IMO.

I do not think I have access to the tools that would yield a pure culture-or know how to identify them. The trouble involved with creatinga pure culture would, I agree, be worth purchasing plankton. The intent was to use fresh plantkon, and not have to set up any cultures. From what I've read, cultures can be tricky. My bottom line is trying to keep my corals healthy and happy while promoting the best color that they can show off- and still have time to visit the honey-do list.

Back