Anyone waxed their skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dalbery

Saltwater Nut
Hello,
I just got to thinking is wax bad for our tanks? If not, why not try to wax the inside of our skimmers and up the skimmer neck. It would release a lot of surface tension and let the bubbles come up much smoother? Am I all washed up or might this work? Maybe rain-X or something like that as well?

good Idea I think now I am thinking out loud here it may work but will still have the same end result as when the skimmer gets it's slim coat the slim coat will just cover the wax not sure what is in rainx but I would probly guess thats not too safe for our tanks. I have a buddy with a skimmer he built i will ask him to try it and see how it does with the wax. he may give it a shot

I don't know if the slime coat would ever really build up with it being waxed. The slime coat slows down the bubbles from rising. That is the main reason for us cleaning our skimmers so often is to remove that slime coat. Maybe a scented wax- so when we do clean the skimmate will smell like lavender or beer or bacon mmmmm bacon :)

I have never cleaned the skimmer body. Only the pump and cup get cleaned at my house. You want the longest dwell time you can get. Slower bubble rise all the better. Waxing the skimmer sounds like a cool idea but the wax will still get coated. It may make it easer to clean next time.

Back