Anyone with a custom nano <20 gallons? Please post pics...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MC Lighting

A Little Overboard!
I wanted to see who has custom nano tanks in the sub 20 gallon range. I do not want to see Aqua pods or Bio cubes just completely custom tanks as I am trying to build ideas for my new nano counter top tank. Pictures would be fantastic too :) Thanks everyone!

I would do something very similar to a JBJ or Oceanic bio-cube. You could get your 20 gallon tank and cut acrylic to portion off a section of the back. Use a dremel tool and cut some notches out of the far right corner for a surface skimmer. Section three "blocks" behind the acrylic and there you go. I would do the sectioning similar to a sump, under, over, under, and then through the return pump.

I would put a small skimmer in there some where as well. I would send the water from the first chamber (surface skimmer) through some LR rubble or foam. Second chamber could be a small fuge with algae and a sand bed if you thought it out (ebay leds on 24/7). Third would be your return.

Last edited:
I have a custom nano with a total volume of approximately 30 gallons. It has an 18 gallon display section in the front with a 6 gallon sump and a 6 gallon refugium. It is 24" X 24" X 14" tall with the front corner cut off to make a pentagon. It has 2" eurobracing around the perimeter.

Gary

I am working on a 24x24x12 tank that will be plumbed into my main system. I am setting it up as a lookdown frag/clam tank. Pictures will be coming in the next couple weeks. I have to bulid a stand first and get things plumbed in.

From 2003

This was my 20L I had set up around 2003.

Mixed reef.

2 175watt single end 14k hamilton bulbs. Built into an wooden toy chest I bought from IKEA. Turned it upside downm screwed in some reflectors and boom! Instand pendant!

Couple powerheads. Dont remember what kind.

One heater suction cupped at the bottom of the tank the long way to hide under the rock work.

Bare bottom

On one end (up against wall) was the remora skimmer

Flow was probably MJ1200's but I cant remember.

Very nice thats why I want to do something custom I want the long look of a smaller tank so I can do clams and such I like the idea of a look down as well but it will be up on the counter so not sure how well that will work out for the shorter folks :)

we've got a sps + lps + softy mix 15 gallon nano. links in the sig. let me know if you have any q's! cheers!

I am currently working on a 2.5. It will house mainly corals and possibly a shrimp. Sexy shrimp maybe? I am hoping to place monti, frogspawn, zoos/palys, xenia, and a shroom or 2.

Back