Anyone ..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

timberwollf

Well last night i couldnt sleep so i sit and watch my tank at 3 am and i noticed somthing new but couldnt find any info on them, I have at least 4 of them they look like slugs, snails but the shell on there back is only what appears to be half a clam shell they dont pull there body back into any shell any Idea's guys?i have 3 white'ish color and 1 jet black in color and noticed they had babies on my glass..

Well last night i couldnt sleep so i sit and watch my tank at 3 am and i noticed somthing new but couldnt find any info on them, I have at least 4 of them they look like slugs, snails but the shell on there back is only what appears to be half a clam shell they dont pull there body back into any shell any Idea's guys?i have 3 white'ish color and 1 jet black in color and noticed they had babies on my glass..

Sounds like a Stomatella to me... check out this link and let me know if this is it. I used to have one of these guys but sadly it died when I first started out in the hobby. In my experience they are reef safe, but have been know to multiply quickly.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_corals/showphoto.php?photo=629

Last edited:
only thing is there having babies i noticed about 12 of the little ones do they spawn fast and will they bother my nass snails?

only thing is there having babies i noticed about 12 of the little ones do they spawn fast and will they bother my nass snails?

I don't believe they will bother your other snails... other than out compete them for food/algae, but in my opinion you want the best cleans you can offer your reef. If you were in my neck of the woods I'd gladly pick some up from you. I included another link with some more information on them. Look halfway down the page fro more info. Some other good hitchhikers are chitons, limpits and Collonista Amakusaensis snails. I hope this helps.

http://www.reefland.com/rho/0305/medprod3.php

I've got a bunch in my tank, basically just free snails. Every couple months or so, you might see a few climb to the top of the rock work and spawn. They're the best kind of snails: they clean and stay off the glass during the day.

Sounds like a Stomatella to me... check out this link and let me know if this is it. I used to have one of these guys but sadly it died when I first started out in the hobby. In my experience they are reef safe, but have been know to multiply quickly.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_corals/showphoto.php?photo=629

I would suppose they are Limpets. I had a couple come in on my live rock. I've actually seen them spawn which was pretty crazy. They kind of rear up on the back of their foot and shoot clouds of gametes into the water. The first time I saw it I was all, "What the?!?". It appears a few of their babies have survived. Pretty much only out at night and cleaning algae from the glass. Kinda neat but the do make holes in the coraline algae on the back glass. Oh well, it grows back. I have the brownish ones. I've seen the black ones at an LFS. Do the black ones have a white mark on the back. If yes, then I'm quite sure that's what they are. Whee!

Yeah I think we have them too kinda white/tan colored in my tank. They are tiny and only seem to come out at night.

Back