anything special for growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Speaking from my experience,

I have had great growth with calcium, iodine, and strontium/molydenum supplementation. I know that Kent Marine sells this as a "Reef Pack". Caution should always be taken when dosing, especially if you haven't dosed your tank before. Make sure to follow the dosing instructions carefully.

As for feeding, I don't spot feed my zoo's anything. They seem to do well pulling nutrients out of the water on their own. But I know some people spot feed their colonies mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze. I've had a frag of yellow/orange zoo's go from 3 polyps to about 30 +- in 5 months.

No additives or food needed. Just good light and proper flow.

Zoanthids are photosynthetic corals which can be sustained with good medium to strong lighting, but there's more. Water movement/circulation is equally as important. If you have one without the other, you will definitely notice a difference in the growth rate, expansion and overall robust appearance of your zoanthids. The challenge is reproducing a natural environment most conducive for better growth. Therefore a variable or oscillating current is most natural via a couple of simple powerheads and an inexpensive powerstrip wave maker. If all you have are a couple of stationary PH's that are strategically placed, that will be fine as well, but they should create a strong enough current to be effective. My tank had stationary current for years and my system grew like weeds. Zoanthids, palythoas and protos, are not hard to keep/grow at all. There are many other factors also that will adversely affect growth or decline. Here's a couple of them. Lets say that you have all the right parameters, great lighting, strong current, using RO water, proper readings etc., yet you have stray voltage. Stray voltage is often overlooked and some don't believe such a thing exist. A simple ground plug I suggested for a friends tank whose entire coral population was taking a nose dive, helped save his reef. In time, everything begin to expand and he lost only two colonies. I spoke with another reefer who was using a Swing Arm Hydrometer with a very expensive collection of zoas and palys. I stopped by with my refractometer, and his salinity was extremely high. Sure I know this is an extreme case, but there are a lot of little overlooked things that will stunt growth. Contantly moving your colonies and frags around your tank will also have a negative reaction with your polyps. It will surely stunt their growth just by constantly shifting them.

Photosynthesis as I mentioned above is enough to achieve a healthy group of zoanthids. But here's an analogy I use often. If we eat correctly, exercise and get our much needed rest and take care of ourselves, we can live a happy, healthy and normal life. Now if we take vitamin supplements, it stands to reason that we would only add to the healthy lifestyle we are living and therefore greatly benefit us in the long and short term. This is the simple reason why I add Vitamins and Amino acids to my tank twice a week, and yes, I have seen a difference in appearance and health of my zoanthid and Palythoas population. Is there a study that proves this assumption Mucho? No there isn't, but I do know with all variables remaining constant in my tank when I began using vitamins and amino acids, there was a noticeable difference within a weeks. Others have shared with me the exact same response. I use Seachem's Reef Plus. Hey, most of what we read is anecdotal anyway, you just have to weigh that which is most important to you and act on it.

Feeding is a secondary, not a primary source of sustainable nutrient for zoanthids. As with the vitamins, external additions of food in moderation is ok, but I wouldn't go flooding my system with excessive food that will fall to the substrate if/when it is uneaten and begin to decay. I feed my system twice a week in very small amounts. You should turn off your return pumps but leave some internal circulation to move the food about the tank. The only food I use is Coral Frenzy and my corals love it. I add half a pinky finger nail amount to a small bottle. I fill the bottle half full with tank water, cap and shake vigorously for 30 seconds and pour into my tank from left to right. 30 minutes later, I turn my pumps back on. I do this every 4 days and it has worked very well for me. I also add a small mixture of mysis and green water once or twice a month.

I agree with Breden, " No additives or food needed", but a little help never hurts in my experience.

Sorry to be long winded.

Mucho Reef

Last edited:
Back