anyway to fix a crack in the glass?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

e_rin18

Last night we were modifying some bulk heads and the glass cracked. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix or stabilize the crack? It's in the top left corner on the back side.

we siliconed the crack, it starts at the bulk head and stops at the top. The tank has a frame for support around the top. Seems to be holding water as well as the pressure. Leaving water in it for a little while to see if it'll keep.

as long as the crack is not under a lot of stress/in a structural place, you can silicone a piece of acrylic over the crack to stabilize and help prevent further cracking. Otherwise its best to either scrap or replace the panel

I'm not sure I'd sleep so soundly at night with a crack in the glass. Sounds to risky. Replacing the pane is the only sure fire repair.

What size we could possibly fix it with a new panel.. You could epoxy a piece of glass on the outside of the tank. I use a special epoxy that they use to fix chips in windshields .. But a crack is still a crack... How big of tank glue a euro brace in that corner on top that could help a ton as well..

Back