Aptasia...Grrr

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A few days ago, I found a single Aptasia near the glass in the sand. I sucked it out!! This morning, I find one on a small piece of live rock. I've also seen a couple bristleworms crawling in and out of holes in this same piece of rock. When I tried sucking the aptasia up, it just sucked into it's hole. I've read about some remedies using lemon or lime juice (don't remember which) or boiling water. I've also read about cementing the hole shut. Should I remove the rock from the tank before doing any of these? Should I rinse the rock in fresh water afterwards? This particular piece of rock is very easy to remove from the tank. What would you recommend as the best way to kill this lil' goober??

you should take out the rock for a few moments while you inject the glass anemone with hot water, That will do it!!!!
Or maybe you should try buying a pepermint shrimp, a few months a have the same problem you are having and I buy 6 pepermint shrimp and in like a week all tha aiptasia were gone!!

I had a breakout of these, and the best advice I got was Lemon Juice. The trick to it, is go to the store, buy a 10 pack of insulin needles, and flat out inject the aptasia with the lemon juice. Kills them INSTANTLY!! I have not had a single one come back. The shark Reef told me about that, and it works wonders!!!! HTH

I've heard about the lemon juice as well. My question remains, do I need to remove the rock before the treatment or do I do the treatment in the tank? If the lemon juice will kill aiptasia, won't it kill or harm anything else it comes in contact with? If I need to remove the rock and treat with lemon juice, do I then need to rinse the rock off to make sure I'm not introducing the juice back into the aquarium? I won't need to purchase any syringes as my brother is a diabetic...lol.

I personally have had the best luck with pickling lime. The problem with pickling lime is it is generally hard to find. Fortunately since you live in Spokane there are two stores that sell it: Aquatic Dreams and Advanced Aquariums and Terrariums. With the pickling lime all you need to do is inject a solution of it above the mouth of the anemone. You don't have to actually inject it like you do with with lemon juice and hot water. If you go to Aquatic Dreams and Kevin isn't busy he will just show you. Since you only have a few right now you don't have to worry about pH problems since pickling lime is very basic.

Daniel,
Thanks for the advice...here's a bit of a suggestion, I've heard from several people that you can also get pickling lime at Walmart. Might also look in the canning section of larger grocery stores. It's usually kept with the canning supplies with other pickling items or jam making items.

Michael
I used pickling lime that I got from Kevin and it worked great :)

Its only about $5 for a 1lb container

I just took water from the tank and brought it to a boil and used a baster to squirt the aiptasia on the rock while it was still in the tank. They melted away instantly and I have not had any since.

returnofsid said:
Daniel,
Thanks for the advice...here's a bit of a suggestion, I've heard from several people that you can also get pickling lime at Walmart. Might also look in the canning section of larger grocery stores. It's usually kept with the canning supplies with other pickling items or jam making items.

Just a word of caution here, make sure that it is the same kind that Kevin sells, there are no spices in his.

And bristleworms are a good thing. I probably have a hundred or so in my 52 gallon, some of them with names. Sam is about a third of an inch wide, when bunched up. They reduce the snail and fish poo to something the corals can use, and they clean the holes in the rock.

Aiptasia have no helpful uses. Peppermint shrimp are good, but mine are farming the last few adults for tentacles.

Sk8r said:
Aiptasia have no helpful uses. Peppermint shrimp are good, but mine are farming the last few adults for tentacles.
Actually they are great for nutrient uptake. PITA because they reproduce all to easily. Pepp's I'm leary about because they have been known to nibble on coral. Joes juice has worked for me. Bascially an expensive, higher concentrated kalkwasser solution.

Well, I decided since I had some lemon juice handy and my brother's a diabetic, I'd try the cheapest (free) solution first. Squirted a small amount of juice into each of the 2 aiptasia I'd found and waited....and waited....and waited...and waited..... To make a long "waiting" story short, I squirted them 3 days ago and they haven't come back since. I'm still watching the tank very closely for more, but so far, so good.

You can also use a product calls Joe's Juice. It's what I use and it works just great. You can buy this product at Marine Depot and other online stores. It will not harm anything in your tank. The good news is you don't have to inject it you just squirt it into the offender.

Regards,

Pat

Back